Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
What have you implemented in your home, that you would recommend (or not, if one turned out to be a complete disaster).

As an example, we have two: a WeMo outlet (which I love and wish I had a dozen more of) and a Nest thermostat.

Looking for ideas. :)

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I want to get an app that will let me cut-off the wifi from my phone. Owlboy crawled in bed with me at 4:00 a.m. wanting to watch Liv & Maddie on his tablet. I don't have to fight him to go to bed. I have to fight him to not go to bed early. I don't know how many times I've said. "It's only seven; you can't go to sleep yet!" He made it all the way to 8:20 last night so I thought I was safe.

Wally
No. of Recommendations: 0
I bought some of these last year. Best purchase I've made in the last 10 years by far. I have the main room lights on one channel and the tortoise tanks on another. So now instead of spending a whole 30 seconds turning on those lights, I can do it with the push of 2 buttons.

This doesn't sound like much, but my level of laziness meant that a lot of days I would forget to turn on or off said lights and in some cases, they would remain on for days at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Househol...
So this is one of the problems I'm having: I can do all of these fancy things (configure on/off times, turn off wifi with the push of a button, expand our wifi coverage, remote control every electronic in the house from my phone, etc.)....for a pretty penny.

So T will say "wouldn't it be great if X" and I say yes! Yes it would! And that will cost $XXX and he's all WTF LADY.

So I'm trying to come up with a list of must-have capabilities, then various tech that will do those things at different price points.

impolite
CIO of the house
Those are very intriguing! It looks like one of the questions was about the amps it will allow, so for a cluster of electronics I might have to have two (one for each power strip, for example) which wouldn't be too onerous as I'd likely split the cluster into separate needs anyway.

Like leaving the fiber tv box on power, but have the TV/Playstation/Sound bar on something I could turn off.

My main worries are:
1) Access. I don't want the kids watching fracking ghost hunting shows when they should be doing the GD dishes before I get home.

2) Electricity usage when we are not there.

And yes, in that order.

(Also, for Wally - this might be your wifi solution - you could keep a remote by your bed and just turn it off at bed time, as long as the devices the kids are using do NOT then pull a cell signal. Data usage, my man, data usage).

impolite
No. of Recommendations: 2
Here's Casa de Snarky:

Wink 2 Hub
Cree LED Smart light bulbs
Wink Relay
SengLED Smart light bulbs
Innovelli Z-Wave outlet
GE Z-Wave outlets (indoor & outdoor)
Lowes Iris Outlet
Ecobee 3 Thermostat (replaced an original Nest that died)
2 Amazon Echo Dots

- The Wink Hub ties it all together. I upgraded it from the original Wink hub this year (Home Depot marked it down on Black Friday). I don't do a lot of IFTT (If This Then That) stuff, but I do a lot of scheduled stuff. The driveway light and the floodlights (and right now, Christmas lights) go on at sunrise and off at sunset. The living room goes on about half an hour before sunrise and off just after sunrise, then comes on again just before sunset and off at 10 PM. It helps the house look lived in when we're not home and it's just convenient to have everything turn on and off automatically.
- The Cree bulbs are a PITA to sync with a hub. I hate them.
- The SengLED bulbs pair very easily and they're cheap.
- The GE Z-Wave outlets pair easily
- Recently Wink started supporting the Iris outlets (the Iris hub sucks, their accessories are decent and Lowes always has them because nobody buys them) and this paired easily
- When the Nest died, I opted for the ecobee because of the remote sensors. Nest was always switching to auto-away because we were downstairs and the thermostat is upstairs. Now our thermostat knows we're home and doesn't turn the AC up to 85 while we're watching TV.
- The Echo dots tie it all together. After adding the Wink skill, you just ask Alexa to turn on the bedroom or turn on the Christmas tree or whatever.
Those are very intriguing! It looks like one of the questions was about the amps it will allow, so for a cluster of electronics I might have to have two (one for each power strip, for example) which wouldn't be too onerous as I'd likely split the cluster into separate needs anyway.

One of the coolest features is they are programmable. You hold down a button on the plug and hit the number 1-4 that you want to program it to, and that is its number. This means I can program all the lamps in my main room, which are plugged into 3 different outlets, to the same damn button. I love it!

Like leaving the fiber tv box on power, but have the TV/Playstation/Sound bar on something I could turn off.

I believe playstations have controls on it where you can block out access during certain time periods with a parental code.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Reading through this thread makes me realize what a [email protected] luddite I am.

-synchronicity, I told y'all here that I bought a new Corolla in October, right?
-synchronicity, I told y'all here that I bought a new Corolla in October, right?

'Heard tell of it! Do you still like it?

I've actually fallen a little more in love with my new-to-me Santa Fe over time.

Every time I can park close to a store instead of piloting a giant vehicle into a space far away, especially now that it's cold outside, I think "Ah, see this is nice".

impolite
No. of Recommendations: 3
I still really like it. I mean, it's a small inexpensive car, but with surprising leg room in back and a decent amount in front (of course,I'm not 6'4" like some Fools).

Runs well, and has the lane assist/auto hi-beams/collision detection/active cruise control/etc. active safety stuff that we wanted, too. Gets good gas mileage (about 31.5 MPG average since we bought it, and yes, we can bring that up on the dashboard display). Complaints are that it takes awhile to get warm air blowing in the winter and the "tower" thing in the center to hold stuff is about a centimeter too short to hold my glasses.

We still have the '99 Prizm and I tool around in it every couple days to keep it running well. Need to bring it in for the State Inspection for another year. Tentative plan is to keep it, hopefully for another 2-3 years, then when its time to get replaced we'll buy a new Accord EX.

Meanwhile, everything else just kinda goes. Wife got sick with a sinus infection early this year that she's still not fully over. Daughter has carved out a group of her "tribe" at school, so in spite of being 13 (how did THAT happen?) she's doing OK. I'm still working from home and work is still paying me. We're still saving money and hitting various financial milestones. If I were to go back in time 30 years and tell Senior-In-College-Me what life would be like now, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat. And thought it was a lie to make me feel better ("yeah, right, SURE all that will happen")

-synchronicity
I am seriously considering getting a bigger truck. Our Tacoma even with the towing package had a tough time pulling the bumper hitch cattle trailer up hills.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I want to get an app that will let me cut-off the wifi from my phone. Owlboy crawled in bed with me at 4:00 a.m. wanting to watch Liv & Maddie on his tablet. I don't have to fight him to go to bed. I have to fight him to not go to bed early. I don't know how many times I've said. "It's only seven; you can't go to sleep yet!" He made it all the way to 8:20 last night so I thought I was safe.

Wally

One option is a Circle. https://meetcircle.com/ You can set times kids/devices can access the wifi, even what they can/can't access. Even pause the internet for people/devices.

So, when the 14yr old highly obsessed with video games exchange student needs to work on homework (and only homework) I can filter his access to only Google classroom and educational sites. Or say, no youtube, but you can go to Pandora.

So for 4am watching parties - you can say the internet doesn't work at 4am. Because you set a bedtime on his devices, and they don't turn back on until 9am on Saturdays.

Hope that helps!
Hunzi