Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am new to this board and have been curious about the following:

My anecdotal surveys indicate that Sirius is now substantially outselling XM in the retail outlets that I have visited. It is my understanding that XM, as the earlier and better established company, gains a large portion of its subscription numbers from its deals with GM, Honda and other car manufacturers to place its receivers in their cars. These deals allow their subscription numbers to grow steadily despite what appears to me to be a growing consumer preference for Sirius.

My question is whether anyone on this board is familiar with anything about the contractual relationships between XM and GM or Honda or the other car manufacturers. For example, could GM change its mind and make Sirius available as an option or switch over to Sirius altogether? If it is contractually committed to only placing XM receivers in its cars, for how long is it committed to do so? Does anyone know? This is a question that may substantially impact Sirius's future subscription numbers and hence its future profits (when they come).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.