I nominate Averagjoe for the 2007 Feste for the following reasons:

441 Caption Challenges
TWO weekly Puzzles
A Favorite Fool

Numerous good and well liked posts including the following 3:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26190542&bid=113431&sort=username
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26185725&bid=113431&sort=username
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26055457&bid=113431&sort=username

Averagjoe makes this place humorous and fun. Without him, HURL would not be nearly as entertaining. And entertaining is a prime mission of the Fool.

Averagjoe makes people want to come to the Fool. It’s important to read the serious material posted here, but sometimes we need a break and Averagjoe gives us the whimsy we need.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 53
Averagjoe makes this place humorous and fun. Without him, HURL would not be nearly as entertaining. And entertaining is a prime mission of the Fool.

Averagjoe makes people want to come to the Fool. It’s important to read the serious material posted here, but sometimes we need a break and Averagjoe gives us the whimsy we need.

Problem is the posts you're linking to do not contain anything else than links to a non-TMF website. You claim that "Averagjoe makes people want to come to the Fool." If that is so, why does the old blighter direct those people to sites not related to TMF? Just asking.

Abe
No. of Recommendations: 3

~~~

HERE, HERE!!! I concur...
No. of Recommendations: 72
Averagjoe makes people want to come to the Fool.

Not really. The majority of his posts are merely links to his website, as evidenced by the three posts you put in your post. What he does is encourage posters (mostly males) to visit his website in order to be "entertained".

I think the Feste Award would be grossly cheapened if he were to be among the nominees.

Christina
No. of Recommendations: 12
Problem is the posts you're linking to do not contain anything else than links to a non-TMF website. You claim that "Averagjoe makes people want to come to the Fool." If that is so, why does the old blighter direct those people to sites not related to TMF? Just asking.

Could it be because you cannot post a .jpg, .wav, .avi, etc. to the Fool? Just answering.

Keith
No. of Recommendations: 7
Could it be because you cannot post a .jpg, .wav, .avi, etc. to the Fool? Just answering.

Keith

Maybe Facebook is the place to go, then.

Abe
No. of Recommendations: 4

Or could it be because each hit to some websites results in some monetary benefit to that website? Just asking.

Christina
Hi,
AJ has my vote. After reading 3/4 years of HURL stuff (both good and bad) AJ postings add some/a lot of fresh material. It has been quite a while since anything "new" has been posted. Some of the material has been around at least a dozen times (but whose counting). Some is worth reading again and again, but there is a limit to my attention span (especially late in the evening about 0547 EST, bourbon attack). I have trouble with the video links (slow, slow running, dark, etc.) and don't generally watch those. AJ has stayed away from that media (some) and that is just fine with me.

HURL will suffer without AJ. Where has he gone?

L8R, Jim D.
Or could it be because each hit to some websites results in some monetary benefit to that website? Just asking.

Maybe some websites but since his has no advertising, it would be highly doubtful. Just sort of answering.
No. of Recommendations: 15
Hey, let's not forget that Joe also posts to a wider variety of websites than just HURL. I've encountered him on the photography board, the gardening board, occasionally on the BBQ board, and I am sure there are others. I don't have time right now to look them up, but I know his talents are not limited to male entertainment. Once, when I was trying to come up with a way to create and print a for sale ad for a car I owned, and couldn't figure out how to do it with the limited tools I have at my disposal, he came out of the blue and offered to make up a nice ad if I emailed him the pics and info. The ad looked great, and I learned a bit more about imaging software.

As far as linking to his own website, so does Bill Ford over on the BBQing board (not that I am trying to rat him out) and it definitely adds to the information available on that board, and makes it much easier to find things discussed on the board in the past than to try to search through all thoses posts.

Joe has my vote........

Mike in NJ
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm willing to bet that the pro / con AJ argument is not one of Richard's (Twitty's) favorite subjects, especially right now. Not the board for this IMO.

He's been nominated and has been before.

Zz
No. of Recommendations: 2

There are no ads on his site. I can't imagine hits drive revenue.

Keith
I agree. He posts great material, most of which is new stuff that hasn't been all over the internet since 1994.

His web site does not have advertising, so there's no money in it for him when he does post.

His photography is incredible, and I've learned quite a lot from his posts on the Photography board.

Averagjoe for the award!!!
Ditto!
His photography is incredible, and I've learned quite a lot from his posts on the Photography board.

Remember the point of the feste is the person who best exemplifies TMF's mission of "Learning Together." I thought to myself, maybe thats what it says but the winners don't really match up with the stated intentions of the award (like the Heisman or something). But I look at past winners and I see they really do seem to be people that have helped me learn. Mklein9, jimgillies, emiller8988, etc.

I think it would be a good idea to nominate some posts along these lines from boards like Photography where he provides some great tips on getting that perfect shot.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Averagjoe has my vote. Where and when do I cast it?
This was my post on the HURL board. Hopefully this effort will lead to his reinstatement.

From AJ:
"Yup, my posting privileges at TMF have been suspended. I'm even blocked from logging in."

I for one, plan to save about an hour a day, by deleting the HURL board from My Favorite List.
I was drawn to this board by Aj's postings and hopefully will get a clue if he returns from other boards that I follow.

Hope those of you who found it necessary to get him ousted, find something else to gripe about.
No. of Recommendations: 24
I looked up a few of Joe's posts from the past three months, and I can tell you there is much more to his posts than the weekly naughty-bits of puzzle challenges and occasional off-color jokes. It appears that for amusement he posts on HURL, but his posts on other subjects live up to the Motley Fool credo of "Entertain, Amuse and Educate". A few examples:

Short term trading principles explained in simple, entertaining terms:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25986465&bid=113758

Timely alert on trading opportunities:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25829186&bid=113758

A How-to of gift-making:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26164779&bid=112916

Step by step advice on transplanting a citrus tree:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26066453&bid=112916

And he dazzles us with breathtaking photographs:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26216954&bid=113831

If that doesn't add up to the Fool credo, I don't know what does.

Joe has my vote.

Jessi
You claim that "Averagjoe makes people want to come to the Fool." If that is so, why does the old blighter direct those people to sites not related to TMF? Just asking.

I will take your question on face value, assuming that you're relatively new to TMF, don't understand how the boards work, and are truly seeking guidance....

First, it should be noted that enrollment in TMF is a prerequisite for participating in and enjoying the AJ caption contests (the links and participant responses are only available here). As a result, they bring guests here both out of curiosity and a desire to laugh. That is why AJ is an asset not only to the members of the HURL community but to TMF as well. (It should be pointed out that AJ also contributes to a number of other boards where he appears to be respected - esp. in the area of photography.)

Second, links to external boards are a VERY common practice across TMF boards -- almost to the point where I suspect it would be hard to find ANY board without them. In fact, some boards such as HWTSC have hardwired links with hints, tips, "what to do" instructions, etc.

Third, contests have been a part of TMF since, well, nearly the very beginning I suppose.

If you object to contests or links to external sites, TMF offers you several options:

1) Simply bypass (or put on "ignore") any threads which you believe fail to meet your criteria for acceptability;

2) Simply bypass (or put on "ignore") any poster(s) which you you believe fail to meet your criteria for acceptability;

3) Do not visit boards where the behaviors you find objectionable are present;

4) Lobby TMF for a change to TOS which makes the practices you find objectionable a criteria for TMF as a whole;

5) Leave TMF in favor of a community discussion board which meets your standards.

Just answering.

BG
No. of Recommendations: 30
First, it should be noted that enrollment in TMF is a prerequisite for participating in and enjoying the AJ caption contests (the links and participant responses are only available here). As a result, they bring guests here both out of curiosity and a desire to laugh. That is why AJ is an asset not only to the members of the HURL community but to TMF as well. (It should be pointed out that AJ also contributes to a number of other boards where he appears to be respected - esp. in the area of photography.)

Second, links to external boards are a VERY common practice across TMF boards -- almost to the point where I suspect it would be hard to find ANY board without them. In fact, some boards such as HWTSC have hardwired links with hints, tips, "what to do" instructions, etc.

I've been a part of the boards for years, have followed the Feste nominations for years, and never, never, never, never, have the nominations for the Feste award consisted of "go to this link elsewhere." They have all consisted of discussions here on the boards.

If you think that averagjoe should be nominated for, and is deserving of, the award, then please have the courtesy to offer links where "Learning Together" and "To Educate, Amuse & Enrich" are displayed on the boards, rather than AveragJoe's own website.

Nancy
averagejoe has 12 essential vitamins!
averagejoe has magic powers!
averagejoe has anti-oxidants!!
averagejoe has a +3 vorpal sword, good against all orcs!!!
averagejoe gets two thumbs up from roeper and ebert!
averagejoe gives you WIIIINGS!

Duck
No. of Recommendations: 18
Averagjoe (only two e’s) is outright the funniest guy at TMF. He’s a natural comic and he shares his fun with us, working hard to get even us straight-laced guys involved with his captions, puzzles (both always with a twist) and absolutely fantastic bonus puzzles.

Lately he’s really outdone himself, not just posting jokes, but orchestrating a change in character of the Humor board from “jokers’ board” to “joke board”, turning the whole board into a comedy sketch.

He’ll post a really funny item, knowing maybe one in a hundred might not like it. But that one in a hundred, or more often, some person who thinks some-one else might not like it, can’t find the “next” button on their computer! Nor the “ignore thread” button!! They can’t even find the “ignore poster” button!!!

So the poor poor Fool is forced to be subjected to an endless barrage of side-splittingly funny stuff … some of which they are in danger of not liking. Aaargh!! Help, get me out of this intolerable situation! So they go for the “Fool Alert” button. Phew, they found a button at last.

But … it doesn’t always work! Sometimes the Big Fools don’t agree that one-in-a-hundred might not like a particular post.

So AJ, being a sympathetic guy as well as funny guy, starts to link to the really funny stuff off board. Now the wannabe FA champion has to choose … hmm … deliberately link off to something off board that might be offensive … or try a bit harder to find that “next” button? But then oh dear … by clicking “next” the wannabe FA champion wouldn’t know quite how offensive the link was! Inquisitive minds just have to know … Ooooh! Yuk! How Naughty!!!

The dilemma is too much … what’s more the wannabe FA champions eventually begin to get this slightly uneasy feeling that maybe they are being played, maybe they are part of a game, maybe they are just muppets in AJ’s hands.

It is said that truth is stranger than fiction. You couldn’t make this up it’s so hilarious.

Three cheers and a Feste Award for AJ.
Is there a Benny Hill Memorial Award? Perhaps that would be a good compromise.

--JC
Nominees for Feste not involved in "follow this link"...

Oddly enough, that is a good deal of the politics board, either that or they are reposting copyrighted material.....

And the stuff there is almost filled with as much vitriol as the stuff on the humor board, except they aren't joking.

Just saying.
Is there a Benny Hill Memorial Award? Perhaps that would be a good compromise.

Now, that was funnier than anything I've seen from AJ in a long time.
if I wasn't divorced, 25 years younger, and I had another son,I would name him Average Joe....bear
If you won't seriously consider him for nomination, at least create a new board for him on the Fool. Maybe, "AveragJoe's Place" and he can post whatever he wants. Put a little disclaimer on it, like the one that pops up the first time you post on a new board, warning posters of the content.

Then, if you happen to stumble across one of his posts on "AJ's Place", then click the link, then get offended, there can be no doubt to the level of an offended person's idiocy.

Not that there is much doubt now. If you are offended by what AJ posts, but click on it anyway, you're pretty much a moron.

Or maybe you have a closet fetish you can't deal with.

Just sayin'.

JB -- HUGE AJ fan
No. of Recommendations: 3
Maybe, "AveragJoe's Place" and he can post whatever he wants.

I don't understand why you think that Averagjoe should be permitted to "post whatever he wants", even if it clearly violates TMF's T&C. Having a separate board isn't a solution; it just moves the "problem" elsewhere.

BTW - he already has a website of his own -- he can post whatever he wants there.

Christina
Please ex[;ain ow we might display images, puzzles, cartoons here on TMF.

There is no other option but to link to hosting services, either one personally maintained or commercial. For that AJ gets harassed? How silly...

weco
No. of Recommendations: 0
Please explain how we might display images, puzzles, cartoons here on TMF.

There is no other option but to link to hosting services, either one personally maintained or commercial. For that AJ gets harassed? How silly...

weco (typo fix)

AJ is being harassed? Hmmm.....I thought he was suspended for violating TMF's T&C. You're right -- how silly of me!!!

Christina
There you go, an obtuse, non-answer to the question requesting an explanation of how to post imagery here on TMF.

weco
Oddly enough, that is a good deal of the politics board, either that or they are reposting copyrighted material.....

And the stuff there is almost filled with as much vitriol as the stuff on the humor board, except they aren't joking.

Yeah but people aren't usually nominated for posting on PA. Not sure I see the relevance...
Crap. Way too scrolly.

Abe

Entertaining and Educational. I agree......

Birgit
Geesh, that's a tough one - aj's has been a good friend for many moons, mostly from the computer help board rather than HURL, though I occasionally read his posts there and many of them have made me laugh. I recommended your post nominating him - can't/won't turn my back on a person who has been a friend...

Still, I am supporting a community member in this year's nominations who is also worthy - If you would, please also cast a vote for him:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26271809&bid=115596

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26277853&bid=115596

Thanks,
Bob
No. of Recommendations: 5
If you think that averagjoe should be nominated for, and is deserving of, the award, then please have the courtesy to offer links where "Learning Together" and "To Educate, Amuse & Enrich" are displayed on the boards, rather than AveragJoe's own website.

Like these?

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25274076&sort=username

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25854317&bid=113758&sort=username

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25983059&bid=113758&sort=username

and I didn't even look at the ones on the Gardening Board or Help with this Stupid Computer Board, to name a couple of other board AJ has helped people "Learn Together".

Jean
and I didn't even look at the ones on the Gardening Board or Help with this Stupid Computer Board, to name a couple of other board AJ has helped people "Learn Together".

Things like that are fine. Years ago I clicked on one of his links, and after that I tried to avoid posts by him, so I wasn't following any of his posts.

Nancy
I like Joe but I have a question?

Would Joe want Joe to be a Feste winner?

At the end of the day, I don't think so. :o)

Let's get real here and stop mocking something that has meaning and been around for quite some time.

2c

Kez
I like Joe but I have a question?

Would Joe want Joe to be a Feste winner?

---

Fortunately for him, he won't have to make that decision.

-CH
Maybe some websites but since his has no advertising, it would be highly doubtful. Just sort of answering.

Joe has links to other websites posted. As an indicator, my network blocks the "Mortgage Help" link, listing it as "Spam Email".

See here:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26274701&bid=115596

Joe has links to other websites posted. As an indicator, my network blocks the "Mortgage Help" link, listing it as "Spam Email".

That's another Fool's web site...

www.themotleyfools.com/dwdonhoff.php

www.nobullmortgage.com/aboutdave.asp

Ain't nuthin' spammy about that one and it's work-safe to visit.

Just informing...

ßillƒ
That's another Fool's web site...

www.themotleyfools.com/dwdonhoff.php

www.nobullmortgage.com/aboutdave.asp

Ain't nuthin' spammy about that one and it's work-safe to visit.

Just informing...

ßillƒ

Again, my work blocks it as Spam. Does he sell anything?

-spookysquid, just wondering
ONLY THE FINEST PURE 100% COLUMBIAN GRADE A FUNNY!

I'M SOLD!!!
Again, my work blocks it as Spam. Does he sell anything?

Yes, mortgage services.

I suspect that the company's spam filter/s may be "hitting" on specific words or phrases that set off its alarm.

ßillƒ
Fail.