Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

We had a miscommunication in our house today which resulted in an abundance of avocados.

What recipes do you make with avocados?

All I've ever used them for is homemade guacamole.

Thanks, MG
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
RE: MG: "an abundance of avocados"

Things could be worse. In Italy avvocatos are attornies!

SB (the last thing you want a house full of!)

I always liked the term we used when I lived in Puerto Rico:

"aguacates" - kinda rrrolls off the tongue

PS - SB: been thinkin' bout you up there with the local news that made national news.

Peace - MG
No. of Recommendations: 5

You can make a nice pasta sauce with them. Rich and fattening, but nice.

Mince some garlic, de-seed and chop three tomatoes, and chop up two avocados. Saute the garlic in some butter, then add the avocados and 1.5 cups of cream (I use half-and-half, go for whipping cream if you want it even richer).

Simmer the sauce, stirring constantly and mashing the avocados with the spoon. When it's good and smooth, add the diced tomatoes and some Tabasco for heat. Season it and keep the sauce warm until the pasta is ready. Serve with grated parmesan sprinkled on top.

This amount of sauce will serve six people.

Cody
No. of Recommendations: 3

I love avocado slices with grapfruit segments. Dress with a mixture of honey and vinegar. Makes a wonderful salad or dessert.

Phil
RE: MG: "national news"

My friend Big Lou, who supplies my wild rice, has relatives from his Mother's side living on the Red Lake Rez. He doesn't have much good to say about the it.

SB (the kind of place you want to be "from". Far from.)
Make a simple "club" sandwich.

Good white bread, toasted and spread with mayo; layered with thinly sliced turkey and/or ham, cranberry sauce if you like it with turkey, torn romaine lettuce, crisply cooked bacon slices, lots of black pepper and a little salt, topped avocado slices.

Delicious.

A
who would love the problem of too many avocados, anytime
We had a miscommunication in our house today which resulted in an abundance of avocados.

Thanks, MG

They go great on salads or even sandwhiches instead of mayo.

Mark
No. of Recommendations: 2
Try adding Avocado slices to a BLT sandwich . . . tastes great.

As mentioned in other responses to your post, sliced Avocado also goes great in salads . . . that's how I use Avocado most of the time.
I always liked the term we used when I lived in Puerto Rico:

"aguacates" - kinda rrrolls off the tongue

It's a nice sound when properly pronounced in Spanish!

The word comes from language of the Aztecs and Maya (Náhuatl) and it means both the fruit we are talking about and also 'testicle.' When the Spaniards took the 'ahuacatl' back to Europe, it was transliterated as 'avocado' as the closet pronunciation.

But, (as SB pointed out for Italian) 'avocado' means 'lawyer' in Spanish (advocate in English). Given the double-meaning of the root word 'ahuacatl', I suspect the Spaniards figured there were already enough bad lawyer jokes around so they eventually changed the name to the less phonetically accurate 'aguacate.' But, there was no conflicting meaning in English so the original transliteration of 'avocado' was retained.

Huitzli Smokapetl (aka OleDoc)

Try adding Avocado slices to a BLT sandwich . . . tastes great.

As mentioned in other responses to your post, sliced Avocado also goes great in salads . . . that's how I use Avocado most of the time.

Ditto that!!! I sometimes just eat the slices with some lemon juice squeezed over them and a dollop of cottage cheese on the side.

Did you get totally buried by the storm over the last few days?? Going skiing on July 4th?

OleDoc (lives 'down the hill')
Did you get totally buried by the storm over the last few days?? Going skiing on July 4th?

Well not totally . . . the recent snow fall made up for much of what had melted during the first half of March . . . whether the ski areas have enough snow to stay open until July 4th, that might be a stretch . . . June is a possibility. However, skiing has been great.

Dave
slice in half, pop out the seed, sprinkle with lemon juice, scoop out flesh and eat.

purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

b

I like them plain. Just slice and serve.
My friend Big Lou, who supplies my wild rice, has relatives from his Mother's side living on the Red Lake Rez. He doesn't have much good to say about the it.

SB (the kind of place you want to be "from". Far from.)

SB, I know it isn't much of anything, but please tell your friend they all have our deepest sympathies. I could not imagine what that would be like to go through, nor do I ever want to find out.
Kathleen
I posted this on my blog a while back:

http://wasabi.dynu.com:8080/blog/index.php?p=16

Something a little different, because most people are used to savoury/salty recipes with avocado, this one is really sweet!
Yuh axed ...

"What recipes do you make with avocados?"

Take 'bout a dozen 'n boil dem till dey gits leathery 'n down rat tuff. Den take dem 'n chuck dem at de passing cars dat have northern plates!

DeColonelCAF
Den take dem 'n chuck dem at de passing cars dat have northern plates!

Colonel,

You're still not mad over that war against Northern agression thing, are you? ;)

Ed(who lives South of the Mason-Dixon line)
Dat Mr. Ed axed, he shorely did...

"Colonel,

You're still not mad over that war against Northern agression thing, are you? ;)

Ed(who lives South of the Mason-Dixon line)"

Summa mah bes' friends are Yankees, 'n de Whiting family is from Beford, Mass. Ah wuz married up wit a Yankee gal, Noo Yawk born 'n bred, nice Jewish lady who made de best dirty rice yuh ever laid a spoon on.

Nah, not really, jus' gives us sumpin' to tawk 'bout. Ah has read quite a bit 'bout dat Civil War. Wenna de best books on dat wuz by dat Englishman, Sir Winston Churchil. Iffen y'all ain't read it, yuh orta git it frum de liberry 'n give it a glance. Lak dey useter say on dat LaffIn, Verrry interesting!!

Y'all have fun now...

DeColonelCAF

I was looking for some recipes to use avocados in. Vons had them onsale for 10/$1.00

One of my favorite recipes using avocados is a very simple but an unusual soup.

Make a pot of chicken noodle soup. Your choice of canned, homemade, box etc..

Before hand, chill a combination of cubed avocados, tomatoes, green onions (and some jalapeno slices, if you like it spicy, cilantro if you like that, too).

Ladle the soup into bowls. Spoon in the chilled vegetables.

The contrast with the hot soup and the icy veggies is very fun and the combination is very yummy.

~julie~