No. of Recommendations: 9
There have been a lot of posts lately where people seem to get confused about what other people have said. Somebody says what they think some particular person said, then somebody else comes in and contradicts that, and everybody wastes a lot of time trying to figure it out.

The obvious answer is to let the particular person explain what they said. If I explain what I say, then the only time there'll be confusion is when I explain myself badly. :)

Putting words into other people's mouths just leads to more useless noise.

dan
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5

You are on the right track with this post, Galagan. I appreciate that it took some courage for you to post it. You have "the right stuff," in my opinion. Still, I think you need to state things much more bluntly than you have if you expect this effort to bear fruit.

People must sometimes quote other posters in order to participate in discussions. Certainly there is nothing wrong with saying that "intercst has done a study showing the safe withdrawal rate to be close to 4 percent" or "intercst argues that a 74 percent S&P stock allocation is optimal."

In these cases, you are in good faith summarizing another poster's views for the purpose of putting forward your own. There is nothing wrong with that. In the event that you get something a little off, the other poster can correct you. So long as you acknowledge the error and do not repeat it, again there is nothing wrong.

The problem in this particular debate is that the author of a study on the question being discussed has over and over and over again deliberately misled the board about the views of another poster. It is not a mistake when you do it, you are corrected, and you do it again. That is deliberate. That is not good-faith posting.

All we have to work with on a message board are words. That is the currency in which we deal. When a poster knowingly puts forward false words, he cheapens the currency by which we all go about our business here. We are all trying to advance various postions in the court of public opinion. But most of us are playing by rules. Most of us would never stoop to deliberate deception. Many of us cannot even imagine that others would do so on a regular basis.

But there is a poster among us who has engaged in deliberate deception not just dozens of times, not just scores of times, but hundreds of times, during the course of this debate. This debases the currency. This makes it harder for all of the rest of us to have the discussions we need to have to advance our knowledge of the subject matter. When long-time posters express "confusion" over the simplist matters after 11 months of discussion, there is something seriously wrong going on.

A community has the right to stand up to a poster who is doing it harm and to ask that the poster knock off the funny business. My own view is that it goes farther than that. A community has the responsibility to do this. If you have taken from the community in the past, you owe it something when it is under attack. And a poster who regularly engages in deliberate deception is putting forward an attack on the community's hopes of achieving some constructive result with its efforts.

That is my view on the matter. I have given this issue a great deal of thought, and I believe that it is every poster's responsibility to do something to rein in a poster engaging in those sorts of tactics on a regular basis. Those sorts of tactics subtract a great deal and add exactly nothing. They should not be tolerated by anyone who cares for the future success of the board.
No. of Recommendations: 11
--------

You are on the right track with this post, Galagan. I appreciate that it took some courage for you to post it. You have "the right stuff," in my opinion. Still, I think you need to state things much more bluntly than you have if you expect this effort to bear fruit.

Ok, I'll state it bluntly H&CUS stop doing it.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18949704

Arrete says: "Hocus - stop putting words in my mouth. I can speak and think for myself."

Or is this another one of those it's ok for h@cus because he's a "bored leader in waiting" (hahahahaha) but it's not ok for the peons?

Hyperborea
No. of Recommendations: 0
Didn't you just do it? <grin>
No. of Recommendations: 0
Didn't you just do it? <grin>

No, I don't think so - please clarify. I made a statement, quoted arrete and asked h#cus a question.

Hyperborea
No. of Recommendations: 5
jfbell:Didn't you just do it? <grin>

Hyperborea: No, I don't think so - please clarify. I made a statement, quoted arrete and asked h#cus a question.

You "do it" each time you refer to me by a name other than my screen name. It is a cheap trick that a poster with a genuine interest in the subject matter of the board would not stoop to.

People are getting tired of the nonsense, and you don't have anything else to offer. It's a problem for your side.

No. of Recommendations: 3
People must sometimes quote other posters in order to participate in discussions.... In these cases, you are in good faith summarizing another poster's views for the purpose of putting forward your own.

In these cases, I'd recommend including a link to whatever post you're quoting or referring to, so that readers can decide for themselves whether the summary does justice to the original post.

dan
No. of Recommendations: 3
In these cases, I'd recommend including a link to whatever post you're quoting or referring to, so that readers can decide for themselves whether the summary does justice to the original post.

I propose instead that responsible community members who see other posters engage in repeated acts of deliberate deception put up a post on the board insisting that they knock off the funny business.
No. of Recommendations: 17
h&cu$: I propose instead that responsible community members who see other posters engage in repeated acts of deliberate deception put up a post on the board insisting that they knock off the funny business.

Fine, please "knock off the funny business", h&cu$.

Hyperborea