No. of Recommendations: 79
I feel like the guy who woke up out of a coma after 30 years. After reading this board and deciding that it is time I really face my debt head on, I went back last night till 2am through every credit card statement for the last 3 years to see how this all happened. It blew my mind. Three years ago I didnt think much of credit card debt. I had 3 cards, with a total balance of 2800, and low interest rates of under 6%, and a combined credit limit of about 9,000. Small potatoes I figured- easy to pay off anytime, right? Then I browsed through my monthly charges- 600-2000 per month! Payments? 100-300 per month, with a rare payment over 300. You do the math. Then the slippery slope- those guys are good, and you dont even see it coming. Slowly over the months, I would get a "congratulations!", for being a great customer and paying on time( this should have been a red flag, but still didnt hit me), your credit limit has been raised to...you get the picture. As of January 2001, my combined balance was 14,200 with a combined limit of 41,000 on 4 different cards (I thought I was so smart surfing cards for better rates, until the great rates started to dry up). The worst part? All those stupid things I wasted money on that I really didnt need or want. Fortunately, Ive been able to sell some of those things, but at a loss of course. So here I stand ready to take action and with a plan.

1. Live off 60% of take-home pay for the rest of my LBYM life (LBYM life = natural life + 5 years).
2. With the 40%, Snowball CCs, then education loans, then save and invest
3. NEVER carry a balance on a CC again (all but 1 CCs are cut up, but accounts are open to possibly surf rates while snowballing.
4. Track EVERY expense and income EVERY DAY on Quicken (this is great software- intimidating at first, but pretty easy after a while)
5. Open a PCbanker account- DONE
6. Run my personal financial life as a business: Increase Profit, Decrease Expenses
7. Max Employee Pretax retirement Plan
8. Open Roth IRA-DONE
9. Pay cash for everything except a home (I would if I could!)- especially Cars (Those fancy brand new leased vehicles from a couple years ago wasted a lot of money and what do I have to show for them now?)
10. Get One CC that has Cash back or Miles, and pay off every month.
11. Smile to myself when my friends with their leased BMWs, fancy clothes, and over-extended mortgages tell me I should get a new car/house/boat.
12. Avoid dating/marrying a member of the opposite sex who falls into category 11.

Let the journey begin...
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.