Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
What a cool guy. I'll copy here.

Amy

===

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14114647

Yo ratsters...

Yep...I know..markets are closed today..hope no one is obsessing about it...if you are...you need help on your priorities.....as a backdrop to this post, I learned on Friday that the wife of a close friend of mine died after a long battle with cancer...she left a legacy of strength and courage, and five children....the following is from an email Saturday he sent to me in response to one from me sending my condolences to him...(I have modified it slightly, but only to protect his identity):

I very much appreciate, throughout these past
few difficult years, your kind thoughts and prayers. I have not been a good communicator, my focus has been so much on the fight for my wife's [health]. I think
I have been to hospital perhaps 150 times in the last two years alone. But you are one of men I most admire and whose friendship I cherish, if you can believe it from my conduct recently. It has just been all I could do to stay afloat and support my wife. I am now trying to square some things away, be with the kids and so forth. At some point, soon, I am going to return to the planet earth and try to begin a new life. A door to the past has closed behind, and a new door is opening. It is a door to a world I have never
before imagined or thought about, a future without her. I have no idea what to do, where to go, how to go about it..."

In reading this, I realized what values we place (or should place) on friendships.....so consider the following...it is in three parts, the first two of which are questions to answer...

PART I.

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
4. Name five people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
5. Name the last five Academy Award winners for best actor.
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.

How did you do?

The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are often buried with their owners.

PART II. See how you do on these:

1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school?
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time?
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile?
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special?
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
6. Name five heroes whose stories have inspired you?

Easier? The lesson? The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care!

Part III:

The following are generalizations about relationships with your friends and family, but by and large from my own experience, they tend to be pretty accurate:

1. At least 5 people in this world love you so much they would die for you.
2. At least 15 people in this world love you in some way.
3. The only reason anyone would ever hate you is because they want to be just like you.
4. A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don't like you.
5. Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.
6. You mean the world to someone.
7. If not for you, someone may not be living.
8. You are special and unique.
9. Someone that you don't even know exists loves you.
10. When you make the biggest mistake ever, something good comes from it.
11. When you think the world has turned its back on you, take a look, you most likely turned your back on the world.
12. When you think you have no chance at getting what you want, you probably won't get it, but if you believe in yourself, you probably will get it sooner or later.
13. Always remember compliments you received. Forget about the rude remarks.
14. Always tell someone how you feel about them; you will feel much better when they know.
15. If you have a great friend, take the time to let them know that they're great!!!!

Just food for thought on this quiet day...the email from my friend has caused me to reflect on our relationship...I was quick to forgive him for his lack of communication...I knew the life issues that he and his wife faced, and have been keeping tabs on him through a mutual friend (he lives in another state).

As I have said frequently...I try and live life without regrets...I have learned that we have no guarantees of a time certain here on earth...so don't assume that your friends know what they mean to you.

Fool On.

OtterPater

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.