Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Options folks,

On 9/29/2020 I bought-to-open the 1/21/2022 call, strike price $140 on Alteryx (AYX) for $21.65. The stock closed at $113.80 that day.

My thinking was that AYX share price would reach $140 and beyond given enough time. Due to their Q3 revenue raise press release yesterday the share price is $144.05 as I type. I see the mid-point for my option is currently $40.28 (with a large almost $4 spread between bid/ask).

My question: can folks give thoughts on advantages and disadvantages to selling-to-close a LEAPS when the price suddenly pops? I think the share price will continue to climb over the next 15 months - so that tells me to hold onto the option.

OTOH I think the time value has just jumped so I should sell-to-close the option now as that time-value will decay when we get closer to expiration. Does that make sense or am I not thinking about it the right way?

Any thoughts to help clarify my thinking would be much appreciated.

John
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.