Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2018/02/23/au...

excerpt of the Q&A below:

Questions and Answers:

Bhavan Suri -- William Blair and Company -- Analyst

Hey, guys. Really nice results. So, congrats on all the numbers across the board. I guess I just wanted to touch quickly on two quick things.

One, if I look at your [Inaudible] expense, it's phenomenal, right? 130% has been very strong. And now I look at the guide of 35% growth and I look at sort of what your customers expand [Inaudible] and I obviously understand the lands are small, but they're getting a little bigger, the expansions happening a little faster. Help me unpack the revenue guide a little bit to understand if I've got sort of 30%, let's assume even if it slows down, growth in my existing customer base expanding, how we should think about sort of what that means for net new customer acquisition and sort of just how you guys are thinking through that part of how you built up the guide? I'd love to understand it a little more. Thank you.

Dean Stoecker -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Bhavan, thanks for the question. I think we've talked on previous quarters about the lands being better-performing cohorts, that we expect our net retention numbers to be where they're at. There's no assurance that that will continue. While we haven't seen a flattening of our S-curve, we continue to see this $29 billion market opening up.

We're seeing some of the lands, like SP Innovations, happen at a larger scale. We're seeing a bigger percentage of our customers expand and having those expands larger. The long-term sustainability of that, we don't actually know at this point. What we do know is that our playbook, in both the land and the expand motions, are working around the globe.

So we'll continue to double down on making sure that that continues.

Bhavan Suri -- William Blair and Company -- Analyst

Got it, got it, and then a quick follow-up here just on the other side, which is, if you think about 2017, revenue grew 53%, OPEX well below that and obviously you've got some hires that are going to sort of start ramping in '18 here, but as you think about the time for those guys to ramp up, would love to understand that, and also just a little more clarity as you unpack OPEX, is it because of the ramp of the new sales hires that OPEX is growing just in line with [Inaudible] or marginally faster? Just wanted to understand those components, too, given sort of the billings numbers we've had in 2017.

Kevin Rubin -- Chief Financial Officer

I think what you're seeing from an OPEX perspective, I think we talked the last several quarters about accelerated investments in sales and marketing with the backdrop of obviously the opportunity in front of us, and we didn't have the full expense benefits of those hires that came in late in the year, and then the ones that we've mentioned in the prepared remarks that we've hired at the start. So you are seeing the full expense burden of those new heads in the model, which I think is consistent with the dialogue. [Inaudible] the 60 that we've hired thus far this year, 40 of them are in sales and marketing. So it covers off on some of the, what you might consider a light investment in sales and marketing in 2017.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.