Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Alzheimer's Memory Loss Faster Among Well-Educated
10/23/2007

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Having more years of formal education delays the memory loss linked to Alzheimer's disease, but once the condition begins to take hold, better-educated people decline more rapidly, researchers said on Monday. Their study, published in the journal Neurology, tracked memory loss in a group of elderly people from New York City's Bronx borough before they were diagnosed with Alzheimer's or another form of old-age dementia.

http://www.biospace.com/news_story.aspx?NewsEntityId=74279
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
They found educated people that lived in the Bronx??

Zz
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ouch, Zz!
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think getting AD is a bad thing whether or not you have a lot of education.
Alzheimer's Memory Loss Faster Among Well-Educated
10/23/2007

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Having more years of formal education delays the memory loss linked to Alzheimer's disease, but once the condition begins to take hold, better-educated people decline more rapidly...

Dat's a bummer. Does this mean I should not have taken all those extra upper division courses? IIRC, 225 credits.

TB
It has to be in the interpretation.
If (A) has an IQ of 160 and (B) has an IQ of 100, the ratio race to 70 means more loss sooner.
The dumber may just not notice any loss, whereas the cohorts of the dumb notice great loss.
umm...mmm...well.... ignorance is bliss, I always hope to be a happy camper some day what?
Dat's a bummer. Does this mean I should not have taken all those extra upper division courses? IIRC, 225 credits.
>>
How do you count credits? 225?? even at 5 credits/course, that's...um...45 classes? 11+ courses of upper-level work per semester (2 upperclassmen years) or are you counting research in grad school too?

D
>>
How do you count credits? 225?? even at 5 credits/course, that's...um...45 classes? 11+ courses of upper-level work per semester (2 upperclassmen years) or are you counting research in grad school too?

Many of my extra credits, i.e. business production and management, politicial science, etc, did not count towards my degree in biology. Nothing to brag about. Seven rather than 4-years and 4 rather than 1 college to complete said 225 credits.

TB
I also seemed to collect credits since for quite some time I was on a double major track.

Oh yeah, I also just loved college & all my friends there so extended it all out a tad.

Then there was graduate school & before one knows it they have accumulated way way many credits, & still having the time of their life, add just a few more.

I can understand this high credit count with deep appreciation.