No. of Recommendations: 0
My 15 month old just recently started having tantrums. It seems to have started suddenly, like flipping on a light switch.

He started last weekend, when after refusing to let him go outside he lay down by the door and started crying uncontrollably. At the time, I was packing the car for a trip so I just ignored him. Later that evening I noticed he was teething a little bit, so we started with acetaminophen and thought that was the cause and didn't worry about it.

Well, he has continued to have tantrums all week. He refuses to be held/snuggled/comforted, he refuses to play or be distracted, he refuses food (this astounds me, he'll always eat) and he'll even refuse whatever it is he wanted in the first place. I'm really good at ignoring him and that does not seem to help either. Last time I ignored him and cried in the middle of the living room floor for about 45 minutes, only the fact that bath time had arrived finally distracted him.

I know its possible he's just teething, but it seems an extreme reaction especially since he's never reacted to teeth this way before and we are pretty good about keeping him on acetaminophen.

I'm about halfway through "Happiest Toddler on the Block" and don't think I'm going to make it through the rest. I've tried some of the tips and they seem to have no effect. Plus, my "toddler" is so little I consider him a baby still.

We never had this problem with my 3 year old. She didn't even start whining until a few months ago. Its like she skipped the terrible twos altogether and our son is making it for it by starting early. I feel like this kid has not liked us since he was born. It was not a complicated pregnancy, but it was hard on me physically (once again, a complete 180 from the experience with my DD). When he was born, he cried continuously every night from 6-10 for six weeks straight. He never lets anyone rock him to sleep. He was never content to sit in your lap and play (although this is better now, he likes to sit in laps and read books).

Any tips for the tantrums?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.