Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools,
I have a traditional IRA that I have contributed to over the years. Initially was able to take the deductions but that stopped once the income went over the threshold.
I continued to make non-deductible contributions but never did a Roth Conversion.
Now I have 1/3 of my balance in the IRA from non-deductible contributions (after tax dollars).

Q1. Can I convert only the non-deductible portion in my IRA to Roth? From what I read, it is not possible. I believe IRS considers the balance converted to be pro-rata mix of after tax contribution and pre-tax gains and the whole amount is reported as income.

Q2. I have balances in 2 company 401k plans (1 current and 1 past) but only 1 traditional IRA. In calculating the pro-rata after tax balance contribution does the IRS include the 401k balances as well?

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.