Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife, 55, had only a Roth IRA. Our income does not allow more contributions to her Roth.

She opened a Traditional IRA, deposited $6500 and moved it the next day into her Roth. I read this was legal and called a "back door" Roth contribution.

H&R Block tax program now says we owe a $360 penalty for excess contribution. Is this a program error or did I misunderstand what I could legally do? So far, no reply from HR Block.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.