Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Hello again everyone. I am officially back from my tour of duty. It is great to be home, especially in time for the bowl season.

First off, congrats to VT on their ACC Championship. I live in ACC country (Charlotte, NC) and can tell you that a lot of the old-timer ACC fans don't like the trophy being in the hands of the new kid on the block, but the way I see it they won it fair and square and on the field. I would like them to have played FSU just to knock them off of the ACC pedestal face to face, but oh well.

Secondly, I am obviously not happy with the pitiful execution that my WVU Mountaineers showed in their last two games. I am also not happy with the Big East as a whole this year. However, for those of you that think that the BE does not deserve an automatic bid, consider that Louisville will join the conference next season. They would have been in this season if the BE was given more notice by the teams that departed. That would mean that they would be playing Utah in the Fiesta Bowl, which the 11-1 and 7th ranked Cardinals would deserve. The bottom line is that the Big East arguably did not deserve a spot in the BCS. The Big East will be back among the elite conferences next season and beyond.

I am exstatic to see that both Miami and Notre Dame are playing in sh** bowls.

I am a traditionalist, so I would like to have seen tradition upheld by including a Pac-10 team (Cal) in the Rose bowl against Michigan. But that being said, blame the presidents, ADs, and the conference bigwigs that made the BCS what it is today. Each conference agreed to the terms of the BCS knowing that this could happen to one of their schools. It happened to Texas twice in the last three years. They deserve to be in a BCS game. If the BCS had included the Cotton Bowl in their moneygrubbing system, then Texas could have represented the Big-12 there while Cal could have played in the Rose Bowl. That would have upheld tradition twofold.

The BCS worked for what it originally was set up for. #1 vs. #2. With USC and Oklahoma the top two teams since the preseason and their ability to stay there while fighting through tough schedules with a bulleye on their chests, they have proven themselves worthy to play for the National Title. Auburn is a great team and in another season at another time they would probably be playing for the title. However, they are playing this season, where two of the top single-season college football squads of the last decade are also undefeated and vying for a National Title. As I see it, the BCS worked this year in the aspect of pitting #1 vs. #2. If Auburn doesn't like it, then maybe they should blame themselves for scheduling the Citadel, Louisiana-Monroe, and Louisiana Tech as their only non-conference opponents.

I am for a mini-playoff. Maybe where they add the Cotton Bowl to the mix of BCS bowls. Then have a 4 team playoff involving the top 4 teams to be played in 2 of the bowl games on a rotating basis on the second Saturday of December, with the winners playing in a different bowl location (also roating) on January 4th for the National Title. The losers of the playoff games could then play each other for third place on the 1st, along with the other bowls hosting the other BCS teams. Just a thought. I am sure that elaboration will be needed, but I do not like the idea of an 8- or 16- team playoff. This way would only add two games to the bowl schedule, not 6 or 14.

We have got to remember that the majority of these kids are not going to play professionally. A playoff system would cut into finals week and finals preparation. The kids are in school to learn first, THEN to play football.

Anyway, thank you to everyone for their kind words and support for me and for my fellow soldiers that are or were away from home. Without your support the entire ordeal would be much worse. Continue to support our nation's warfighters. God Bless America!!!

Mac
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.