Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Back is seriously hurting now. I wonder why it's happening faster this time than last time ... maybe because I braced myself since I saw it coming? I dunno.

Greetings, Michele, my money is on muscle spasm and microtears due to the impact. Sometimes the worst takes up to 48-72 hours to develop but perhaps because you were bracing, the effects were both deeper and more immediate. Assuming no fractures, just muscle pain and stiffness, oftentimes a muscle relaxant like Valium or Flexeril can help in the early stages. Ibuprofen is your friend (it is not just for symptom management but is an actual therapeutic measure to keep down inflammation) and Vicodin or Percocet when trying to sleep can be beneficial also. I don't mean to be trying to prescribe over the Internet but for all my patients who show up to the office after MVA's, once there is no evidence for frank fracture, the measures above can be truly helpful. So can heating pads and specially designed cervical pillows like from Tempurpedic or HomeMedics. Hope you will feel well enough to post again soon.

xraymd
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.