Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I have been reading the Fool for quite a while now. Occasionally I post.
But I must admit, the self-congradulatory attitude of the Motley Fool staff is getting a bit old.
Obviously in the new technology market they have done well.
I just wonder when they are going to stop talking about the wonderful, bought cheap and look at AOL, Qualcom etc ad infinitum etc etc etc.
It doesn't seem like they spent much time talking about the future and potential stocks, it is just one long self congradulatory missive after another about what they were smart enough to have already bought.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 20
Do you own any stocks that, via your read of The Gorilla Game book and understanding, would qualify you to pat your own back?

Which staff are you pointing this post at and why? I was unaware that any of the TMF portfolios had purchased Qualcomm. AOL is a Godzilla and qualified as one of the best performing stocks of the previous decade (along with Dell, EMC and Cisco). They deserve to pat themselves on the back - as do all investors who were fortunate to benefit from Dell, EMC and Cisco during the 90's.

I don't even know who you are addressing, but part of the gorilla game and this message board, is to search for future potential stocks and discuss that process.

You wrote:

I just wonder when they are going to stop talking about the wonderful, bought cheap and look at AOL, Qualcom etc ad infinitum etc etc etc. It doesn't seem like they spent much time talking about the future and potential stocks, it is just one long self congradulatory missive after another about what they were smart enough to have already bought.

I can tell you right now, that in terms of future and potential - Qualcomm looks pretty rootin' tootin' good - even if you haven't bought any shares yet. True gorillas are few and far between, but this one is the gorilla of CDMA and still in the earlier portion of the technology adoption life cycle bell curve.

There. Now I can pat myself on the back for telling you.

BB
No. of Recommendations: 184
gotta go with bruce on this one (course, it's hard to find a time to go against him...). i think you've gotta look around this site a little more. if all you can find is TMF talking about how great they are because they picked up whatever stock (and as bruce said, qcom isn't one of them...i'm curious as to where you got that idea from), you're not looking very deep into this site. i'd venture to say you're not reading much into it at all. personally, i find it difficult to count how many stocks they've written articles over this YTD, much less since last august when i first signed on. do i expect them to cover many many companies? yes, not many professionals would build a company around investing and only talk about three companies all the time. and they do cover many companies. do i expect them to cover every company in existence? no, there are too many to cover and it's not realistic. and they don't cover every company.

instead of griping about how the cover the same companies all the time, why don't you spend that energy finding all the OTHER companies they cover.

what's the cause of all this recent anti-TMF sentiment showing up around the boards recently? i don't get it. these people provide a wonderful service to us all for free...it's the best price you can get in anything!!! it doesn't mean you have to agree with everything you say. in fact, it's good not to, to get some opposing views in there. but it just seems very anti-productive to be putting down something that's been such a great benefit.

well, I FOR ONE appreciate what you guys at TMF are doing. and in an attempt to show you that you are appreciated, i encourage everyone else who shares my view to say one simple thing to TMF...right here, and right now...it's really easy, it's only two words...

Thank you.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Bpbrewer wrote:
It doesn't seem like they spent much time talking about the future and potential stocks, it is just one long self congradulatory missive after another about what they were smart enough to have already bought.

Having read the Fool for some time you must realize by now that this is about educating yourself about investing, not just hearing someone else's "hot tips". Could your criticism be a veiled request for someone else's research in lieu of your own DD?

The Fool is the best thing to happen to happen to my investing in a long while. Not for stock picks, but for information that makes me think.

For those posters that have stimulated that process, THANK YOU. Jim (Oh, and a pat on the back. ;^) )

No. of Recommendations: 10
brewer,

If you read the portfolio write-ups on a daily basis, you'll see that they also spend a good amount of time and use a good amount of space to discuss the mistakes they've made in the past. More important, they spend the vast amount of their time showing how they select stocks with the idea that you (we) can use the same processes if we like them after having evaluated them.

Do you know of another financial forum that politely offers that opportunity while at the same time insisting that we be highly critical because, after all, it's our money at risk? I don't.

--Mike Buckley
No. of Recommendations: 4
this just in from the newswire.....

Bruce Brown upgrades Qualcom from a "Strong Buy" rating to a "Pretty Rootin' Tootin' Good" Rating.

LOL

(sorry, that one just hit my funny bone - I don't know why.)
No. of Recommendations: 28
yep, have to agree with Bruce as well.

If I had to criticise something, just about the only thing I can think of was the (slightly foolish) way the Celera purchase handled, but today's TMF article in Rule Maker Portfolio more than makes up for that.

On the subject of Qualcomm, there was actually an article pointing out the (in the author's view) insane valuation. If you follow TMF, you will also find that various TMFs hold quite different opinions on valuation and specific stocks and freely express them, even if that means they oppose the Gardner brothers who after all are their employers. I think that says something about the degree of unhindered, independent thinking that TMF has managed to establish.

I have yet to find another website that even comes close in terms of
- an educated, knowledgable message board where people have incredibly fruitful - and polite, grown-up -discussions
- a source of knowledge where after more than a year now I still feel I barely scratched the surface.
- valuable investing (and more) advice
- where the staff isn't sworn in on one 'corporate opinion'

TMF has made me a lot of money and saved me from loosing even more. What's more, after many years of taking an interest in the stock market, for the first time I feel I'm making informed decisions instead of hoping this time round I follow the right tip.

I hold a business degree and have been working in Controlling for a number of years now; but TMF is where I learnt to really understand a balance sheet and a CashFlow statement.

Hold on, there IS one thing that I'm deeply critical of: TMF is highly addictive and there were times when my work suffered. Maybe TMF should consider putting on a warning sign on its home page, or have a sign pop up every hour: 'Fool, remember there is life outside this community however shallow and meaningless it may seem' ;;-)

Fool on,

Eckhard
No. of Recommendations: 5
Bruce, Mike and all,

There is no way express too much more what TMF really does for us without being redundant. This is best site to come and learn, discuss and exchange ideas about what makes a good company to invest in the long term.

Eckhard: Hold on, there IS one thing that I'm deeply critical of: TMF is highly addictive and there were times when my work suffered. Maybe TMF should consider putting on a
warning sign on its home page, or have a sign pop up every hour: 'Fool, remember there is life outside this community however shallow and meaningless it may seem'
;;-)

I had a great laugh when I read your statement, because it is so true. Highly addictive because I learn so much and continue to want to learn more, More, MOre, MORe, MORE.... get the picture. Of course my sleeping has suffered the last 3-4 months because I spend so much time here on TMF learning. I can remember when I use to watch a good movie on tv, but now I hardly ever turn it on.

Why you might ask? I've found a community of diverse friends that are interested in their future through the purchase of stocks as the best method to accomplish that goal. I agree. Most importantly I learn, ask questions, read, do lots of research and want to learn more so I can get better at analyzing whether a company is a good one to own. When I do buy it is also a long term commitment on my part to track these companies at a minimum of 4 times a year through their Qtrly. reports and annual reports that they continue to perform. If not then I discuss on that particular board with other Fools what they think. That kind of commitment ensures me that long before any drastic drop in stock price is not a surprise. Learning these and so many other lessons gained from this community and TMF keeps me way ahead of the so called experts.

Bonnie:
Keep reading on this and other boards. I'am sure we'll be able to answer most of your questions and join in the discussions. You might want to fill in a little more on your profile so the rest of us can get to know you.

You might want to take the next seminar later this month on the Rule Breakers. The last one was great and I'am still analyzing and watching the stock picks that came out of it. This one will prove even better.

Fool on,
GK Ken
No. of Recommendations: 2
Most people confuse True Gorillas with Kings. Aol is playing a royalty game. Not a gorilla game. You might want to re-think your Qualcomm views on whether it is a gorilla or not. CDMA is not the de-facto standard yet. Remeber GSM? Also, patents start to expire in 2006 and other companies are working on CDMA as well. Also, where are the high switching costs? These are very important aspects of a companies abilitiy to gain Gorilla Status.

JC
No. of Recommendations: 0
A very informative thread! And I think bobbrewster's original frustration demonstrates a natural misconception with fundamental analysis.

I suggest the problem stems from adding Depth of Knowledge to the DD one performs. We are all familiar with Valuation of a Company/Stock, Quality of a Company/Stock and the Concept of Time in our DD.

When one adds Depth of Knowledge or a measure of how well one understands the company's economic model and realise this can taking months/years of tracking; it can appear that you are doing nothing with stocks everyone else has all ready crowned as a winner.

To explore this concept further, please reference a series of articles on Security Analysis written by Randy Befumo in the Motley Fool School.

bobbrewer, I hope this also helps.

FOAP
Harold
AND, as a post script to my previous post, The Gorilla Game offers measureable criteria to help shorten the the time needed to quantify one's Depth of Knowledge of a company's economic model.

A Gorilla has proprietary control of (and can change that technology at will to confound her competitors) a discontinuous (disrupts existing processes) innovative (a better method to do something) high technology.

FOAP
Harold

No. of Recommendations: 1
jp,

Aol is playing a royalty game. Not a gorilla game.

I think its primary focus is a Godzilla game.

CDMA is not the de-facto standard yet. Remember GSM?

The important issue is that CDMA is a non-proprietary technology on which Qualcomm has built its proprietary discontinuous innovations which have become a standard in that niche market. GSM's share of the market is much, much larger than CDMA's share, but CDMA is clearly large enough and growing fast enough to be considered a discontinuous technology vastly threatening GSM.

Also, patents start to expire in 2006 and other companies are working on CDMA as well.

There are new patents constantly coming on board. Those other companies that are working on CDMA have always been working on CDMA with relative unsuccess. There is always the possibility than any technology, including CDMA, can be threatened by a competing discontinuous innovation, but until we see evidence of it there will be no substantial concern on my part.

Also, where are the high switching costs?

In the infrastructure that is required to make the handsets work.

--Mike Buckley
I will get this right yet!!

A Gorilla has proprietary control (and can change that technology at will to confound her competitors) of an open architecture (allows others to develop processes that will work with it) discontinuous (disrupts existing processes) innovative (a better method to do something) high technology.

Phew! I think I got it this time ;)

FOAP
Harold

No. of Recommendations: 8
JC,

Where do I start?

You've been a Fool since October and only posted twice?

Most people confuse True Gorillas with Kings. Aol is playing a royalty game. Not a gorilla game.

Actually, most people that are serious about the Gorilla Game do not make that mistake. Regardless, money can be made as an investor in spite of it: read - JDS Uniphase and EMC as two favorite Kings. AOL was in a Godzilla Game and pre-merger - before the TW announcement - it was considered a Godzilla (Gorilla-King) in the 'winner-take-all' game of the Internet business model.

You might want to re-think your Qualcomm views on whether it is a gorilla or not. CDMA is not the de-facto standard yet. Remeber GSM? Also, patents start to expire in 2006 and other companies are working on CDMA as well. Also, where are the high switching costs? These are very important aspects of a companies abilitiy to gain Gorilla Status.

I would like to make the suggestion that you might want to re-think your views on what is and what is not a gorilla in technology as well. Don't confuse the fact that the world has more than one wireless standard at the moment with preventing a gorilla game within each standard. More than one standard can exist. Who is the gorilla within the CDMA wireless world and why? Could you justify why Qualcomm is or isn't the gorilla within the CDMA standard at this time? Could you outline the value chain within CDMA technology?

As we move forward with the next generations of broadband wireless technology - which technology stands at this point to become the de facto standard? Could you also explain why there is not a gorilla within the GSM wireless standard? Who are the royalty plays? Which patents of Qualcomm's expire in 2006 and what will the effect be of this expiration? How many other patents do they have with other expiration dates?

I would just like to state that I am a 5 year user of GSM technology because I live in a "GSM only" area of the world. Luckily, I did not let that aspect of my 'real life' experience stand in my eventual way of seeing the CDMA gorilla game. Likewise, I use only Apple computers (since 1984). Once again, I never allowed my real life computer user experience stand in my way of seeing the gorilla game within the PC technology adoption life cycle for the sake of investing. GSM is not a 'bad thing' and plenty of investors have made money from the GSM technology and will continue to do so. If an investor wanted to play the entire 'wireless' space, they could not and would not ignore GSM technology. However, in the gorilla game investing world, the risk aversion of holding the gorilla firmly and the royalty plays 'lightly' is food for thought.

JC, I don't want to come off as an arrogant SOB because we are all here at the Fool to educate/amuse/enrich, but the subject of Qualcomm's position in the wireless technology adoption life cycle has been covered in great detail over the past 12 - 14 months by many and even longer by some others with great vision. If you know something that others don't know after all of that study, discussion, and resolve - we would be happy to read what you have to say in detail.

BB

I would like to sent a hearty thank you to all the members of TMF and fools around the globe for opening my eyes to the great and wonderful oppurtunities of sound investing, as well as the blaring follies that hide them. The effort and message that I have just recently found here at TMF is great and i would have to agree, thanks for the effort and message. Fool on!
Hear, hear! Thank You, TMF, for exceptional service and help.
congraTulations! your thread needs work.
No. of Recommendations: 3
When I read the poll on "where do you get your stock purcahse ideas?", I immediately said to myself that 100% of my investment "ideas" have come from the community of FOOLs. I for one thank MOTLEYFOOL.COM and their whole approach to educating the average investors like me. The boards are intellegently constructed and "managed" by true "unbiased" professionals who wish to teach and amuse, not to sell some underlying product or service. I liken their approach to NAIC who have promoted the process of learning how to study stocks in an analytical way (for those millions who do not know an upside down ratio from a trapese star). More than any organization, NAIC has promoted owning " a piece of America" through stock purchases using NAIC's time-tested tools of smart investing. Now comes along The MOTLEY FOOL.COM. They have taken the mantle to the next level, to the internet, creating a new world, developing new ways to think about investing and bringing together like-minded individuals to critique, review, challenge, and to improve upon these ways in a manner never done before. When we talk about "gorillas," I would put FOOL.COM along side of CISCO and DELL, as paving the way for the new milleneum investors who, with the FOOLs advice and counsel, are more confidently able to manage their financial affairs, retirement planning, retirement, taxes, ectera, ectera, without necessarily relying on "outside" financial advisors who may have more of their interests at heart. A THOUSAND THANK YOUS !!!!!! TO MOTLEY FOOL.