Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
As soon as the "Granny, you can't buy beer on Sunday" blue law expires at noon, I'll head for the store for a few last minute supplies for the bbq I'll throw to reward the poor souls that come over to carry a 500lb hot tub across the yard and over the patio wall.

The fella that sleeps here semi-regularly just grunted something about steaks and beer. I don't drink the stuff, and have no clue what to buy. I re-read the beer thread, but still worry I'll end up buying one of those sex-in-a-canoe beers without some suggestions...

Always ;-)
Hunzi
live in a house once owned by a family of brewers (Storz), you'd think they'd have left a few bottles in the cellar.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't drink the stuff, and have no clue what to buy. I re-read the beer thread, but still worry I'll end up buying one of those sex-in-a-canoe beers without some suggestions...

Ahhh Hunzi, an Irish-blooded lass is here to help you.

My first pick, of course, is Guinness. Dark, flavorful and complex. If poured properly, the head can support a quarter!

Not everyone enjoys dark beer though. Personally, I think we should forget about such sots and let them drink piss, but I know that you're interested in being an accomodating hostess.

Harp is good, also Irish.

As for American beer? I'm quite fond of most offerings from the Sam Adams Brewing Company. They used to make a Honey Porter and a Scotch Ale that were superb, but they have dropped those products from their line. {insert loud moaning, wailing, gnashing of teeth and a torrent of tears here}

OK I've regained my composure. Their Summer Ale is light & crisp and quenches thirst quite well. Their Pale Ale is also quite good, and lacks the funkiness that many other IPAs tend to have (to my tongue).

The nice thing about Sam Adams is that in larger establishments you can find cases of their beer with four different six packs, which makes shopping that much easier for a party.

Pete's makes a good brew and I've been known to get a sixer of their product whenever my local grocer is out of my preferred Irish or Sam's products.

My best advice, however, is to avoid these product lines: Budweiser, Coors & Miller.

Ok one caveat about Miller; It makes a damn fine Beer Barbequed Chicken. Here's the scoop:

Start your grill and prepare for 'indirect heat' and set a drip pan in the middle.

Take one whole chicken, wash & pat dry. Rub your preferred seasoning across its skin. Cover the first inch or so of the drumsticks (bone end) with aluminum foil.

Open a 12 oz can of Miller Beer, and pour out 1/2 of it out (your choice, sink or glass). With a can opener, pop two more holes into the can equidistant from each other and the existing hole of the top of the can. (i.e. Imagine a clockface: you want holes at 12 (the normal can opening), 4 and 8).

Carefully shove the chicken onto the beer can. Yes, it is quite obscene. Get the bottom of the can almost flush to the opening of the bird.

Set the chicken on the grill butt down, as if he's sitting on that beer can. Position the drumsticks to tripod the bird. Done right, its really quite secure. Cover.

Depending on the heat of the grill, the bird will be done in 20 - 40 minutes.

Remove carefully to a platter. Once inside, tip the entire bird out over the sink to pour out the beer... being careful to avoid steam burns! Remove can & carve the bird.

You won't even believe how juicy it is!

- T.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks Tera!

One of the fellas phoned just a while ago to get directions and I asked him about his favorite beverage, he said "Boulevard". I'm not sure, but I think I might be getting off cheap...

Always ;-)
Hunzi
Who plans to pick up the Sam Adams as a back up

PS, loved the recipe, and will give it a try soon, but I think I'll make the soon to be invading outlaws my tequila chicken instead.
My favorite American brew.
Has anyone wondered why the Boston Brahmins haven't protested this callous exploitation of an American patriot?
Schvitz, thinking of the flap over Crazy Horse beer (or malt liquor... whatever), after another American patriot.

No. of Recommendations: 4
My first pick, of course, is Guinness. Dark, flavorful and complex. If poured properly, the head can support a quarter!

Absolutely the wrong choice for the situation. Guinness is delicious, but it is not the correct choice to refresh when doing hot work. It is more to be contemplated upon completion of the work.

For this situation you will want a lighter, crisper beer. A pilsener will fit the bill nicely, so long as it is a good one. I would suggest the Ur pilsener, Pilsener Urquell. Light, refreshing with just a hint of spiciness from Saaz hops. Any good quality pilsener would do, just not as nicely. Just keep in mind that much of the mass marketed American urine is called "pilsener" and be wary.

For after the work is complete, perhaps the Guinness. If I am going to reach for a stout in that situation, though, I think I would prefer it to be a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. That delicious nectar is almost chewy it is so flavorful. Just don't overchill it and deaden it's lovely taste.
No. of Recommendations: 2

My favorite American brew.

Has anyone wondered why the Boston Brahmins haven't protested this callous exploitation of an American patriot?
Schvitz, thinking of the flap over Crazy Horse beer (or malt liquor... whatever), after another American patriot.

makes sense to me.....

FWIW--
Grant's (from the recently deceased Bert in Yakima) makes an excellent Scottish style (now that SA has stopped... looking at their website, they're after a differnt niche)

Guinness remains beyond me, but my favorites are British Ales (Bass and anything from Scotland come to mind)

favorite American Lager remains Two X's.

-jp

Just don't buy anything this time of year labeled "Octoberfest", as I recently spotted at Hillhurst Liquor. SLO Brewing Co., at that. The horror. The horror.

One of my "friends" once asked before a Tyson fight on cable if I wanted a beer. It was about this time of year. He handed me a Michelob with little green wreaths printed on the neck. What's wrong with people, anyway?

The simplest solution to this mid-summer quandary is to divorce your husband. Any man who trusts someone else to buy his beer for him is obviously passive-agressive and looking to complain.

jps
favorite American Lager remains Two X's.
Tasty and full-bodied, as I recall (haven't quaffed it in ages). Very un-Corona (no better than pisswater).
I wonder if others, who have tasted both European and American versions of the same label (Heineken, Beck's and, after they started brewing it in New Jersey, Lowenbrau) have very different tastes and textures. A European Heineken, for example, is creamier and maltier. What we get here behind the same label I'd swear is brewed with rice or wheat, possibly to make it more Bud-like. Yecch!
Schvitz

One of the fellas phoned just a while ago to get directions and I asked him about his favorite beverage, he said "Boulevard". I'm not sure, but I think I might be getting off cheap...

Well, ran into the nearest shop, and discovered apparently the folks who shop there like Bud best...hunted around and found two cases of Boulevard: they had Wheat and Pale Ale. Flipped a coin and picked the Wheat.

As for most of those brews you mentioned, I think I'll have to shop in a store on the other side of town, because my little neighborhood ain't got none.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

A European Heineken, for example, is creamier and maltier.

The Euro-Heineken they serve in cans in the kiosks of the Luxembourg Gardens is an appropriate addition to that garden of paradise. It is so good, in fact, that its memory always leads me to try one here in similar circumstances. Sharp and fizzy yet weak and with zero trace of malt, it makes me wonder if they really even started with the formula or made one up. It is closer to Brew 102 than to the EuroHeine.

The other drink that is noticably different here is Dubonnet. It is one weak-ass drink in America, made in Kentucky and a favorite of nobody. Nothing like its taste in France.

Lillet is still better in both places than Dubonnet in either, however.

jps

Well, ran into the nearest shop, and discovered apparently the folks who shop there like Bud best...

That's what you get for shopping for beer in an AM/PM.

As for most of those brews you mentioned, I think I'll have to shop in a store on the other side of town, because my little neighborhood ain't got none.

You might try this regional beer from your neck of the woods and let us know:

http://www.barleyboys.com/

That reminds me that my favorite domestic beer is one I can't get here, Otter Creek Pale Ale. But every time I am in Hanover, NH, I stop at Murphy's on the Green and enjoy a couple pints. After a long day, of course, at the St. Gaudens National Historic Site.

jps

Hunzi,

Don't go to strangers. (as Etta James says)

I'll brew you a custom hot weather temperature beater. Maybe a honeybrew lager or a wheat beer (Weizen) with a snappy hops like Cascade or Tetttnanger or Saaz.

HopsMaltYeast

I actually make some pretty damn good beer, just for fun.
Otter Creek Pale Ale

I believe Pale Ale, and specifically India Pale Ale, is the best of the best in brewing.

Hops
Aside from the Bloody Marys we had during yesterday's pour, we did have beer.The retaining wall was built to go on the hillside around my friend Brian's pool.

HMY

Brian started brewing just for fun, also, but took the American Brewer's Guild course and hasn't looked back.
He is now the Head Brewmaster at Beermann's of Lincoln.

http://www.beermanns.com/

Before that he started Stonehouse Brewing in Nevada City and won many awards for "organic" beers.

Whereas most folks have a workbench in their garages, Brian has three taps (Helleslager, English style P.A., and a red).
This is a vurrrry dangerous place to hang out.

dub

I'll be there again on Friday

Before that he started Stonehouse Brewing in Nevada City and won many awards for "organic" beers.

Get the hell out. This is serious brewing. Don't I feel like a booger. But I do brew good beer, even if only a few dozen folk know it.

Good on him. I'd like to try the PA and Red.

Hops

Did I hear bier? St Pauli Girl ooolaalaa or Bittburger Pils. Both are good German gumby biers.

Ibgumby I want bier damit give me bier damit.

"Ibgumby I want bier damit give me bier damit."

Good God, that isn't Weaselboy, is it? Say, it ain't so, Joe, say it ain't so!

m
I'll brew you a custom hot weather temperature beater.

Gotta go with the old standby, Papazian's "Rocky Racoon."

Damn that's good ice cold on a hot day.

Or even just cool on a mild day.

Hell, it's just good.

Merely considering Otter Creek Pale Ale made me run out and get something. The something was Sierra Nevada Bottom Fermented Summerfest Beer. Close to the usual Sierra, which is excellent, but just a shade lighter and less hopsy. I actually preferred it to the regular offering.

I could have had ten.

jps
Gotta go with the old standby, Papazian's "Rocky Racoon."

Damn that's good ice cold on a hot day.

Ned the wise,

Yes, Rocky Racoon (page 211 of The Complete Joy of Home Brewing) is the HoneyLager I brewed and called Harry's Honey. I used organic honey from the hippy store in Buckhead, Atlanta. But I brewed it with Ale yeast at ale temperatures.

Papazian is God.

Don't worry, have a home brew.

Hops
Merely considering Otter Creek Pale Ale made me run out and get something. The something was Sierra Nevada Bottom Fermented Summerfest Beer. Close to the usual Sierra, which is excellent, but just a shade lighter and less hopsy. I actually preferred it to the regular offering.

I could have had ten.

jps

Kill me now cocksucker.

The best I have to look forward to is the Bird Dog Saloon. And they have been out of Michelob for the past 2 effing weeks. That leaves Bud on draft. The exotic siht? Corona or Rolling Rock in the bottle. And they might be out of that. Did I mention the effing gnats?

so cuff you.

I'll just kill myself. Up in Ms. Georgia's bed and breakfast, drinking scotch and soda.

But I have to sneak upstairs when I have a snootful, because Ms. Georgia don't approve of drinkin'.

HMY
What I feel like drinking depends on how I feel.

Favorite beers:
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Bass Ale
Becks
Harp
Summit Great Northern Porter (anyone know where I can get it in NJ or somewhere in PA that's close to Trenton?)

Sometimes I'll go for a seasonal brew like Sam Addams Summer Ale or Pete's Wicked Winter Brew

Although I'm not into stout beers, my husband likes Guinness and Beamish.
It ain't so Joe, it ain't so! Gumby like bier in green bottles.

Ibgumby damit
The other drink that is noticably different here is Dubonnet. It is one weak-ass drink in America, made in Kentucky and a favorite of nobody. Nothing like its taste in France.
There is another fortified wine popular in France as an aperitif whose name I cannot for the life of me remember, which is is even more pleasing than Lillet almost as rare as hen's teeth here. Does anything come to to mind, jps?
Schvitz
"..."Ibgumby I want bier damit give me bier damit."...

"...Good God, that isn't Weaselboy, is it? Say, it ain't so, Joe, say it ain't so!..."

It ain't so, Joe.

I generally don't do doppels, except for comedic effect once in a great while (and the Gumby dude doesn't seem very funny to me).

I just came out of lurking mode here yesterday because I couldn't resist taking a swipe at Turk Wendell (since I had to suffer through him for a couple seasons).

And as long as I'm posting, I heartily recommend Bell's Amber Ale (they make a nice pale ale also), which (I believe) is made in Grand Rapids MI). Excellent beer...somewhat hard to find, though.

Mark
I just came out of lurking mode here yesterday because I couldn't resist taking a swipe at Turk Wendell

Now it's Julian Tavarez who's starting to suck. And Felix Heredia out of the pen, although Baylor ain't helpin' by telling the whole world he doesn't trust the guy.

Two games out of first now, and barely ahead of the Cardinals. Soon we'll on the outside of the playoffs, looking in. Heck, at this rate we'll be heading towards .500 real soon.

Beer? heck, after these 3 games in Arizona, I need Scotch. 18 yr. old Glenlivet single malt. Neat. And lots of it.

-synchronicity
"...Two games out of first now, and barely ahead of the Cardinals..."

All you have to do is take a look at the Cub's roster and you can tell that they are doomed, an overacheiving last-place team.

It really is starting to look like that promise my dad made me in the 60's (to take me to the World Series if the Cubs ever made it in his lifetime) isn't going to be fulfilled.

Mark
I believe Pale Ale, and specifically India Pale Ale, is the best of the best in brewing.

Different strokes, you know. I'm more of an amber ale kind of guy, but every now and again I enjoy swilling a good pale ale.

One complaint I have in general about IPAs is that stylistically they are supposed to be hoppy, which apparently gives the brewmaster license to burn my tongue off. Everything in moderation people.

One important exception to the "how much Cascade can we cram into this beer?" crowd is Quayl Springs IPA, from Deschutes. It's light but with nice body and not too hoppy. Instead, it's just the right amount of hoppy. Their porter is to die for also.
Well the beer was fine, but the hot tub is still sitting in the driveway. We ended up one friend too short to carry the thing to its resting place. So we grilled the steaks, the guys drank a few beers while planning the revenge on the missing friend and we talked about everything from astronomy to kids and technology. Nice evening, & a new friend for me (they work together and I hadn't met him for more than 2 minutes before).

I usually hate beer, but I enjoyed this one. Still think I'd rather have a glass of wine, a boat drink, or a pitcher or two of that white sangria served with a fabulous view of LA.

Tomorrow we'll try again, as they intend to round up a couple more guys from work and run over right after the day is done. Might run west and see if I can find a couple more bottles to toss in the cooler.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
thinking by the time they get the darned thing in place, wired and filled, the inlaws will be here....what fun is that?

Hunzi,

Don't go to strangers.

Hops,

I've never had a home brewed beer. You might even make me like beer.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

There is another fortified wine popular in France as an aperitif whose name I cannot for the life of me remember, which is is even more pleasing than Lillet almost as rare as hen's teeth here. Does anything come to to mind, jps?

Noilly Prat? It's not so rare here (LA) though. Patsis?

jps
As soon as the "Granny, you can't buy beer on Sunday" blue law expires at noon, I'll head for the store for a few last minute supplies for the bbq I'll throw to reward the poor souls that come over to carry a 500lb hot tub across the yard and over the patio wall.

I hate that about Minnesota. No booze on Sundays. I ended up mixing Bailey's Irish Creme with Barq's Cream Soda. It was pretty tasty but made some nasty foam.

6, didn't leave the house all weekend.
Noilly Prat? It's not so rare here (LA) though. Patsis?
St. Raphael! (I think. Gotta look for it here [NY] and try it, again)
Schvitz

Just about any cask-conditioned beer is better than any noncask-conditioned beer. I can't understand why the world is taking so long to figure this one out, but non-fizzy beers are becoming easier to find. Try one.

If you don't know what I am talking about, ask you best beerman or woman. Lately, I've been enjoying the Hale's Cream Ale. From the deck of Ray's Boathouse overlooking Puget Sound on a sunny Sunday afternoon, it's an excellent beer. A big plate of "Smoked Seafood" (that's all the menu said) makes it better.

Rick
A pilsener will fit the bill nicely, so long as it is a good one. I would suggest the Ur pilsener, Pilsener Urquell

Ahhhhh, well said, Ned. My favorite 'lager'. A close second is the original Budvar, both of which I sampled in abundance in Prague a few years back.

As for Guinness, I confess to never having visited Dublin, but there it is completely different to the rather watery version we get here in Britain.

Sam Adams is great (for a US beer! :) ), but Brooklyn Pale Ale is a fine brew, served damned cold in a pizza joing I forget the name of on the north side of Houston in The Village, just West of 5th Ave (or whatever it's called in the teens). The dark doesn't quite hit the spot like the SA's Oat Stout though.

For a stonking IPA, I can recommend Bishop's Finger and almost anything by the Abbot brewery in Suffolk, the IPA, hand drawn at The Clifton pub in St John's Wood, north London, is a treat, sitting outside under sycamore trees, on a pleasant 75 degree evening.

Beered-upBullet
"Brooklyn Pale Ale is a fine brew, served damned cold in a pizza joint I forget the name of on the north side of Houston in The Village..."

I haven't got much use for Brooklyn's beers; they're unremarkable micros to me. My most recent fave (other than Grant's Perfect Porter, which somebody mentioned above) is Wild Goose's Nut Brown Ale. But I suspect that just like your Brooklyn Pale Ale, context is the most important determinant of the quality of a beer.

The best beer I ever had was when I was sixteen, and my family took a spring break vacation to Puerto Rico in 1979. Being a senior in high school, the least cool thing I could have imagined was missing all the keg parties round the neighborhood while my (and their) parents were away. All things being considered, the beaches of Puerto Rico just didn't have the same charm.

The one thing which wasn't considered at the time was my opinion on the matter, so I ended up sitting in the back of some beater PR rental car without air conditioning driving slowly down dirt roads on my dad's "scenic route" from San Juan to Fajardo. Despite the fact that I was probably being inordinately surly, my dad stopped at a beach and walked up to a hawker pushing along a cooler on wheels. And miraculously and undeservedly, out of the cooler was obtained for me an ice cold, dripping wet can of Schaefer, the one beer to have when you're having more than one.

I can still viscerally remember the refreshment more than 20 years later.

m
But I suspect that just like your Brooklyn Pale Ale, context is the most important determinant of the quality of a beer.

Well, the context (if you mean situation) can certainly determine the most appropriate type of beer to consume. Pizza or a BBQ with beer to me will tend to be a relatively light beer. But that don't mean I'm gonna go buy a 6-pack of Coors light! No matter what.

Same goes for wine. A chilled chardonnay or gewurztraminer goes better with pizza or grilled salmon, trout or tuna than a stonking merlot, in my opinion. That stonking merlot or cabernet franc is just what I want with a lean 15oz filet.

Horses for courses, I guess.

Bullet

No. of Recommendations: 5
Despite the fact that I was probably being inordinately surly, my dad stopped at a beach and walked up to a hawker pushing along a cooler on wheels. And miraculously and undeservedly, out of the cooler was obtained for me an ice cold, dripping wet can of Schaefer, the one beer to have when you're having more than one.

You silly man!

It was because you were being inordinately surly that you got that beer! I'll bet the thought running through the old man's mind was "maybe if we get the kid a bit drunk, he'll shut up".

- T.
I freely admit that I do not have any special insight, but I do have opinions. Following are a couple of them regarding beer:

Best "I'm drinking imports at the bar" Becks
Best "I'm drinking 15 cans of beer today" Coors Light
Best "I'm watching the Steelers game IN Pittsburgh" IC Light
Best "I'm grilling kielbasa" Rolling Rock
Best "I want to spend a lot of cash" Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout
Best "I'm drinking Irish Draught beers" Caffrey's
Best "I'm at a Frat Party beer" Milwaukee's best light / Natural light tie

paperairplane - Has Yuengling Porter in the fridge good @ $4.50 a sixer
Best "I'm at a Frat Party beer" Milwaukee's best light / Natural light tie

Not if you're in Wisconsin, where you can't get Milwaukee's Best. Then it's Old Mil or Grain Belt.

Best "I'm at the Minnesota State Fair" - Pig's Eye

Best "I'm at the Minnesota State Fair" - Pig's Eye

One of my roommates dated the daughter of a Pig's Eye sales guy, so we could get it for $6 a case. Slightly underpriced at that level, and of great help in stretching the student's drinking dollar.

Mark,
oink

Best "I'm broke beer" - Golden Anniversary - overpriced @ $2.35 a sixer

paperairplane
No. of Recommendations: 5
context is the most important determinant of the quality of a beer

One good place for context is Chope's bar and cafe in La Mesa, NM. The place is really a bar, with a cafe next door, though you can (and should) order and eat in the bar. It's a typical little hole in the wall, run by a good Catholic mexican family (like all small mexican businesses, they close the cafe by eight in the evening, and don't open at all on Sundays) that for some reason is popular with white people and college students. That doesn't deter the local onion and chile farmers, who refuse to completely yield their bar to outsiders. The bar is small, maybe 25 feet wide and 8 feet deep, with a little more room for the bar itself. Complete with a bare concrete floor and dim lighting, and a jukebox by the door that is unplugged when the local band plays. There's no room for a band, but everyone gets out of the way when the man brings in his upright bass. Add the accordion and guitar and the place is filled with familiar mexican tunes that I'm sure I've never heard before. Old man Chope died about 10 years ago, and soon after the family actually added restrooms, which previously was just a wall to piss on and a floor drain. No idea what the woman's room was like. The addition also provided a storeroom, so there was no longer any cases of beer stacked in the corner of the bar.

The cafe is next door, in what used to be a house. It's crowded and noisy. No door to the kitchen, and it looks like no investment was made for commercial equipment. One day someone decided to turn their house into a cafe and started then and there. The food is wonderful though. Chile rellenos, enchiladas, menudo, tamales. Hot tasty chile, both the red and the green. Finish it up with an order if sopapillas, if you have room. In this situation, the beer to have is the quarts of Carta Blanca or Tecate. You can buy a 12 ounce bud or coors for a buck-fifty, or one of those godawful Fosters oil cans for $4 (a clever way to make a few bucks off of the college kids who don't know what the hell they want), but at $2.50, the quarts are the best deal.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Best "I'm broke beer" - Golden Anniversary - overpriced @ $2.35 a sixer

Only if you're a man.

Women in that situation only need don their favorite low-cut shirt and high-cut skirt.

Or... if they're handy with a cue... they need only scrape up the requisite number of quarters to start a game at the local pub.

Rank amateurs should never attempt to use both techniques in tandem.

- T, all pro.
Context: Beer, food, atmosphere

"Gibbie's" Morgantown, WV - Food's not bad, Gibbie is a drunk
"Old World Mexican Cafe" Old Town, San Diego - Food is outstanding, also, this bar is the largest consumer of Jose Cuervo in North America
"Triumph's" Princeton, NJ - Brewery in Ivy League town with NY styling - the Tiger Ale works
"Pat O'Brien's" The French Quarter, LA - Dueling pianos are the highlight of this bar, also originators of the "Hurricane" - rum a licious

paperairplane - I drink, I travel, I have embarassing pictures
paperairplane - I drink, I travel, I have embarassing pictures

Link, please!
Rank amateurs should never attempt to use both techniques in tandem.

I'm half-pro - I'll play with a low cut shirt, but I'm just too short to play pool in a miniskirt and keep it legal.

6, stretching
Not if you're in Wisconsin, where you can't get Milwaukee's Best.

Can't get The Beast? Aye, these are troubled times we live in.
Not if you're in Wisconsin, where you can't get Milwaukee's Best.

Can't get The Beast? Aye, these are troubled times we live in.
-----------------------------

Maybe you can call the Phoenetians and have them paddle you some over in their multinational - uberglobal nation spanning canoe.

paperairplane
I've never had a home brewed beer. You might even make me like beer.

I make a decent homebrew. Ask Weaselboy.

IF
"...I make a decent homebrew. Ask Weaselboy..."

True. If you are real nice to IF you'll get a nice package in the US Mail.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr.

Mark
I make a decent homebrew. Ask Weaselboy.

I'd be happy to....maybe one of these days I can bribe him to come to my bbq on Berkshire weekend and we can plot our takeover of the company.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
"...I'd be happy to....maybe one of these days I can bribe him to come to my bbq on Berkshire weekend and we can plot our takeover of the company..."

Aw hell, you don't have to bribe me. All you have to do is get my wife to let me come to the meeting. 2000 meeting, no problem...2001 couldn't go. I'm thinking maybe a bribe of a trip to Borsheim's might get us both there in 2002.

As far as the takeover thing, there's got to be some way to get rid of that Buffett slug. My standing offer is that all shareholders get unlimited free Peanut Buster Parfaits for life should I be installed as CEO.

Mark

As far as the takeover thing, there's got to be some way to get rid of that Buffett slug. My standing offer is that all shareholders get unlimited free Peanut Buster Parfaits for life should I be installed as CEO.

I would buy a whole share for See's cashew brittle for life.

Used to be a See's in my neighborhood. Buffett bought See's. Shut the bottom ten percent down. The poor old ladies who had worked there for years, knew nothing about stocks, just that they had a profitable store, but not profitable enough. They started a petition and sent it to Buffett. Everyone in the neighborhood signed it.

Shut down right on time. He shut down the one in cuffing downtown LA on 7th Street, too.

No fan of Warren Buffett here. That little heartwarming story didn't even make it to Omaha, I'll bet.

jps