Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 9
Back to the orig. question, another reason to own specific stocks in a Drip is you control the date you will realise any capital gains (or capital losses).

==================

I believe the better choice of words here is, you have control of the date you will realize any capital gains (or capital losses) unless your shares are acquired for cash by another company, private or public.

This has happened to me on several occasions - and they MADE me take all that dirty money - THE HORROR!

Once I was stuck with a small loss, the other times I made significantly more than I had invested. My latest DRiP to be acquired was DRAI (Data Research acquired by a private company for $11 per share). I had only sent an initial $50 to them, acquired about 10 shares and change plus my single share, so it wasn't too awful to make about double the money, just awful I had no other opportunity to add more OCPs. Boo-hoo.

Oh well, pay the tax and invest the proceeds in the next best idea, right?

exilion
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.