Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd like to convert my existing traditional IRA to a Roth. I understand I need to move any pre-tax contributions out before doing so. Problem is, I don't remember if what is in there is pre-tax. I have had a retirement plan at work for a long time, so I would not have been eligible for pre-tax contributions, and I have been trying to stay liquid (until recently) so I have been inclined not to contribute post-tax. Obviously I should not be allowed access to sharp objects, much less sophisticated financial instruments, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.