No. of Recommendations: 5
I am currently doing some back testing. I am working on Forward 10, teeter totter and Simon Sez methods; heaviest concentration on Simon.

My new rule for investing that I learned the hard way is “trader know thy self”. I can’t be at a computer everyday and I have learned my investment style needs to match the time I can give which means daily charts are not the best match for me. Thanks to Quill I realize I can do this but need different time frame charts. I can dedicate every Monday. Thanks Quill! This means my backtesting will be with weekly charts.

I am doing a lot of back tests and plan to include several market conditions. I am doing 4/14-4/16 time frame and will be going back to test a few with the 2008 market tank. I admit this is tedious but is also giving me some charting experience. I will gladly share my results with the group.

If anyone has a request of stock or EFT that you would like me to include please let me know and I will be glad to toss it into the test group.

Gigi
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Gigi,

Have trading TR, QQQ, MCD for the past 16 years.

Through this trio in your pile.

However only invested in five companies being GMCR, SBUX, MCD, XOM and the QQQ's for my kids Undergraduate and Graduate education. Daughter got her BA, PhD Molecular Cellular Biology and a Masters in BioMedical writing in that pecking order. My son got his BS in Business Administrative Computer Sciences.

GMCR was the best stock I ever owned. July of 1994, bought 30,000 shares of GMCR, June 1992, bought 500 shares of SBUX. Compounded each stock into the next signal purchase.

Traded them as normal until the stock splits came in :

GMCR....Splits: Jan 12, 2001 [2:1], Jul 30, 2007 [3:1], Jun 9, 2009 [3:2], May 18, 2010 [3:1]
SBUX....Splits: Sep 30, 1993 [2:1], Dec 4, 1995 [2:1], Mar 22, 1999 [2:1], Apr 30, 2001 [2:1], Oct 24, 2005 [2:1]

Quill -
No. of Recommendations: 0
Gigi,

What is the Forward 10?

Thanks,

Andy
Quill.

I had the QQQ’s on my list and TR on my radar. I’ll be sure to add the ones you’ve mentioned to my list. This is taking me a bit but great practice.

Congrats to your children, great job! Our daughter graduates next week with her Masters in education. Our son finished 5 years military and is now going to school with GI bill and studying biology before going back into military when finished. We will be rebuilding education account for grandkids to use.

I think you've mentioned that you sell from perpetual income folder any stocks that announce a split. Can you elaborate a bit on splits and how we should treat them?

Thanks
Gigi
Andy,

The Forward 10 is a charting method Quill discusses in post #2881 and 2890. I wasn't sure of it's name or if it even had one so I am calling it Forward 10. If it has a proper name please correct me.

Gigi
Gigi

Thanks

Andy
Andy,

Gigi was referring to FW aka Front Weighted Moving Average 10 or FW Moving Average 10 as one of the tools used in our Toolbox.

Review message #2890 if you haven't setup the chart yet. When loaded up and view call up AA tell me what you see in white letters on the charts right-hand side.

Quill-
Quill,

I am not certain how to do what you said

thanks

andy
Gigi,

re: Reverse stock split.

This is the opposite of a stock split, in which a company increases its outstanding shares by a set multiple. For example, if a company announces a reverse stock split of 1:100, this means that once the split occurs, investors will receive one share for every 100 shares they own.

http://finance.zacks.com/reverse-stock-split-good-bad-2298.h...

If you own a stock and it announces a Reverse Stock Split, SELL in time before the announced date. If you like the stock you can then buy back in.

Because I haven't been paying attention, I have lost lots of money in the process on several stocks.

ETF's has to be watched all the time.

TWTR is one of biggest loser. Even though TWTR is a good stock I have to wait until it gets back to 61.00.

If a stock splits normally where you get extra shares as I have done with GMCR and SBUX is a bonus because the company is doing an excellent job and would like to share it the wealth process.

Hope this can help

Quill -
Andy writes is part " I am not certain how to do what you said"

Can you please re-write the question so others may chime in and answer the question.

Quill -
Andy,

My bad, I thought I posted the AA chart to be loaded onto your computer and in reviewing AA, I placed a text label "9.65 / 10.62" as a reference I use in for bought at / to sell at, but the charts says not to sell until the next xover. So if is there, left click and then click on Remove.

Sorry for not understanding the 11.35 flag.

Quill-
Quill,

No problem. I can certainly obfuscate anyone. Can I just use the charts you recommended from StockChart.com, Post 2792, instead of Freecharts, which I am having trouble figuring out?

Thanks

Andy
Andy,

Yes and learn as much as you can in the journey.

Quill -
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am still collecting data for backtesting and have started calculations. So far the results are not too impressive. I am using weekly charts as I can’t be at PC everyday watching daily charts.

It seems with using weekly charts on teeter totter, red/green bar and the forward 10 I am getting to the party too late and over staying my welcome. Simon does a lot better but I am not sure of the data accuracy in a backtest.

I changed the bars to elder impulse and ignored blue bars. This resulted in slightly better results but nothing great. I have completed QQQ and DIA with all of the above mentioned and except for Simon I ended the 2 year run with negative to mediocre. The test is for 2 year period.

QQQ: red/green bar -21.98%, red/green/blue bars -2.36%, teeter 7.3%, F10 9%, buy and hold 22.5%

DIA: red/green bar -13%, red/green/blue bar 4%, teeter -2.1%, b&h 12.7%

I haven't completed the criss crossing of both of the above with their inverse.

Simon had great results but again not sure the accuracy of backtesting Simon. The above results are for 2 years.

I am collecting results going forward for a Simon test but don’t have enough data to matter yet.

Opinions? Anything I should change or tweak? There are days I am not even in internet range so checking stocks daily is not something I can always do.

Thanks for your help.
Gigi