Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
badger,

drat!

i was using an outdated version of the code (that swiss link), because the HTML formatting makes it so much easier to parse. apparently these restrictions were inserted more recently, in order to thwart manipulations by unscrupulous operators such as myself.

getting it from the horse's mouth:

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/26C43.txt

i see exactly the language that you quote.

darn it. that means all my tax benefits will have to have real economic substance behind them.

curses! foiled again!

[3rd-person voiceover] at a young and impressionable age, the boy whom the world would later know as "trepanne" saw his father gunned down by an alternative minimum tax; upon settling the estate, the gummint confiscated most of what few assets he had accumulated during his tragically brief life. for years afterward, trepanne's mother toiled to raise him while struggling under the burden of having an unjust revenuer refuse to qualify her substitute payments in lieu of dividends for the reduced tax rates.

as he matured and his powers grew, this seed of rancor, planted in an innocent dewy hypothalamus, soon blossomed into a florid and twisted hatred that he unleashed recklessly against an unprepared treasury.

<low camera angle, pointing upward at trepanne striking dramatic pose and shaking fist> you haven't heard the last out of me, uncle sam!

thanks badger. it is much appreciated. i just KNEW it couldn't be that easy.

trp
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.