Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Insurgents in northern Iraq seize key cities, advance toward Baghdad
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/insurgents-i...
Insurgents inspired by al-Qaeda rapidly pressed toward Baghdad on Wednesday, confronting little resistance from Iraq’s collapsing security forces and expanding an arc of control that now includes a wide swath of the country. By nightfall, the militants had reached the flash-point city of Samarra, just 70 miles outside Baghdad….

In a country already fraught with sectarian tension, with parts of western Iraq already in Sunni militant hands, the latest gains by insurgents from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria prompted cries of alarm from leaders of Iraq’s Shiite Muslim majority.

U.S. Embassy Prepares for Possible Evacuation as Militants Take Control in Iraq
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/11/u-s-embassy-prepa...
The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad is preparing contingency plans to evacuate its employees if necessary now that one of the deadliest Islamic militant groups in the region has taken control of large swaths of Iraq, a U.S. official told TheBlaze.

The State Department also warned U.S. citizens against traveling to Iraq, following several days of bloody clashes between insurgents with the Al Qaeda-inspired Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and Iraqi military forces. ISIL has taken control of Mosul, Tikrit and Fallujah and aims to create an Islamic state across the Iraq-Syria border.

DB2
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
I wonder if, somewhere out there, Colin Powell is reading all this and thinking about his warning to Bush about Iran == "You break it, you bought it."
No. of Recommendations: 0
It's getting interesting over there...

ISIL has forced Islamic law on the population under its control, amputating the hands of robbers, crucifying or cutting the heads of those they determine as criminals and banning the display of underwear or mannequins in shop windows, which are deemed un-Islamic, said Abdurrahman.

"Do not give up one span of land that you have liberated," spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani says. "March to Baghdad... We have a score to settle."

Things I keep in mind.

Both sides don't like us.

Iran does not like us.

Iran wants to send in a Hezballah brigade... hezballah doesn't exackly like us either.

I don't know. The enemy of my enemy is my friend? I just don't know.
No. of Recommendations: 17
The part I don't get is we bombed them for like eight years and they just won't warm up to us.