No. of Recommendations: 2
Bailing

To clarify - you've run through savings? The student loan is federal?
On the employee stock option plan or stock purchase plan, is that something he and enroll in once per year?

Do you have other debt other than the $26000 that is in collection? How much do you presently have on student loans? Do you have any type of retirement accounts?

Can you get your current interest rate info and share with us here?

First off, let me state that I think avoiding bankruptcy is a noble pursuit. There is a decent chance it may financially be your best option.

Second, if its federal student loans you are talking about, how you spend that particular money should be done in a way that furthers your education and/or keeps the lights/you and the kiddos fed on while you are doing that.

Have you applied for food stamps or any of the programs that might provide you with assistance?

Do you have a budget?

One thing I would suggest is that when the tax return comes if you can dedicate a little of it to trying to get debt paid off or forgiven. this is something that would take an agreement, in writing, with the collection agencies - basically, say if you have $500 you can put toward the debt after the monthly bills are payed - call up one of the agencies, let them know you think you can pay Y$ on X balance, but they need to be willing to charge off the remainder of the balance. Let them know this is a one time offer, and if they can't do a deal, you'll go to one of your other creditors. Anything you agree to needs to be in writing, just in case they try to not charge something off or otherwise reneg. The goal on this is 2 fold - one stop interest from accurring, and 2, improve your cash flow in future months. My gut is this is more likely be be doable on the medical debt, particularly if the provider already received payment from insurance.

Good luck. Lots of folks smarter than me here.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.