Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2205460

"The principal of a public high school apologized to parents for allowing a Christian-themed assembly that featured two Philadelphia Eagles players, saying he was misled about what the presentation would cover.

Principal Emmanuel Caulk of Newark High School wrote in a letter that he expected the talk by players Tra Thomas and Thomas Tapeh to focus on "values, choices and challenges that adolescents face in today's society."

He said promotional material used the name "Tra Thomas Promotional Tour," and he did not know Thomas was founder and spokesman for Athletes United for Christ.

A projection of that organization's logo was shown throughout Tuesday's assembly, and the athletes urged students to attend an upcoming rally and concert at a Philadelphia-area Christian center.

Some students and parents complained.

==============================

... which leads into another topic ...

Does anyone have an issue with football players kneeling in prayer on the field after the game?

I guess I have a hard time reconciling the praying to a higher power after just finishing trying to pound the opponent into submission.

Oddly enough, you never see a post-game, on the field prayer during any other major sport.

Diane
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Does anyone have an issue with football players kneeling in prayer on the field after the game?

I don't have a problem with it; I have a problem with TV showing it. And the next time someone is 'micced up' the producers should not let the viewing audience hear the player thank Jesus for throwing a TD pass.
No. of Recommendations: 2

Nope.

I guess I have a hard time reconciling the praying to a higher power after just finishing trying to pound the opponent into submission.

Depends on what they pray for. At my church if we have an organized athletic event we always pray before we start. But generally the person praying is not asking for victory. He just prays that no one will be hurt and that everyone will be moved to remember to keep the game in proper perspective and show good sportsmanship.

Sadly, there always seems to be one jerk who was in the bathroom during the prayer and ruins things. Which is why we don't play a lot of sports at church anymore.

{{I don't have a problem with it; I have a problem with TV showing it. And the next time someone is 'micced up' the producers should not let the viewing audience hear the player thank Jesus for throwing a TD pass.}}

Why do you have a problem with that type of celebration being on TV? Do you have a problem with TV showing other celebrationss?

c

I'm not a particularly religious person, but I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not like it's a requirement to join the prayer circle.

What I think is funny is when you see Evander Holyfield or some other boxer making comments about God being in his corner. So, God just helped you pummel someone else. Maybe he had money on the fight or something.

Mike
No. of Recommendations: 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't have a problem with it; I have a problem with TV showing it.

Why?

And the next time someone is 'micced up' the producers should not let the viewing audience hear the player thank Jesus for throwing a TD pass.

Why?

What I think is funny is when you see Evander Holyfield or some other boxer making comments about God being in his corner. So, God just helped you pummel someone else. Maybe he had money on the fight or something.

Mike

Well, I suppose if you're Christian, you think God is *always* with you, no?

Naj

Ps God took David and the points v Goliath, or so I've heard...
No. of Recommendations: 3
I want to become an athlete just so I can get on the air one day and blame Jesus for helping the other team to win.

-chris
No. of Recommendations: 9
I want to become an athlete just so I can get on the air one day and blame Jesus for helping the other team to win.

-chris

I hear that's what Bruschi and Vinatieri said after the Miami game last year.

Naj
You know something, I am going to add a snarky reply that I feel is pretty fair considering what happens when people complain about things like wardrobe malfunctions.

If you don't like it, you can change the channel.

Blasphemy! He obviously took David straight-up.

-MC

Blasphemy! He obviously took David straight-up.

-MC

No chance.

You think bookies would accept a wager from *God* if he took the underdog straight up to win?

Hell no.

Naj
No chance.

You think bookies would accept a wager from *God* if he took the underdog straight up to win?

Hell no.

I need to find a "Jesus is my bookie" t-shirt

-MC

I thought we already saw that after the Superbowl ... oh wait that was Fredex and TO blaming D-McNabb for helping the other team to win.

I am sure you can one could get that confused.

Mark

I hated having to rec that.

I hated having to rec that.

Just wait till AJ Feeley leads the Bolts to another road win over the Pats in the Wild-Card game this year.

Naj
Just wait till AJ Feeley leads the Bolts to another road win over the Pats in the Wild-Card game this year.

Why must God make his son suffer so?
Why must God make his son suffer so?

Brady gets pummeled for your dumbass fantasy team.