Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
SO I have 2 unexpected guests for dinner today (thought my brother and niece were not coming over till tomorrow morning). Bro is 6'5" and eats...a lot. He's also a low-carber (or was when he last visited almost 2 years ago). Niece is a low to moderate carber.

I have 1.4lb filet of salmon, which seems maybe a tad skimpy for this crowd. So I was thinking of thawing out maybe 3 Phillips crab cakes and spreading the crab across the top before baking the fish. What say you?

I don't have enough broccoli (coz we ate a bunch of it ourselves last night w/rotisserie chicken-), so green beans it is, and I could fix some cole slaw. For dessert I can offer yogurt with homemade strawberry rhubarb sauce or matcha tea ice cream. I could fix homemade guacamole and blue corn chips & veggie sticks for an appetizer. And chill a bottle of white wine.

Do you think my "stuffed salmon" idea will work well? I've never done that sort of thing before.

ASIDE
Fixing jambalaya and cauli rice tomorrow (when younger bro will join us), lamb chops & brussels sprouts Tuesday Or maybe take-out pulled pork or ribs from the farmer's market on Tuesday ;-) Elder bro offered to buy takeout for our lunch tomorrow. Too bad the excellent local thai joint isn't open for lunch any more (darn covid!).
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
baked stuffed salmon was a big hit, and something I'll make again.

I thawed 3 Phillips Maryland style crab cakes and mixed with about 2 Tbsp mayo, some chopped fresh parsley (from my herb garden), 1/2 cup finely chopped onion sauteed w/ 1/4 cup finely chopped fennel bulb, 2 cloves minced garlic, grated rind of a meyer lemon, heavy sprinkle of old bay spice blend.

I mixed it well with a fork and spread it thickly on the whole 1.4 lb salmon filet and baked at 400 for around 20 minutes. Made a nice presentation. Served with cole slaw and green beans almondine. And chardonnay.

Simple and great for company! You can mix the stuffing ahead. I can think of many things to dress it up...capers, chopped artichoke hearts, chopped olives, more fresh herbs like chives, tarragon, dill... season Mexican style, French style, Japanese style...
No. of Recommendations: 0
What exactly is a crab cake made of?
No. of Recommendations: 1
https://www.phillipsfoods.com/products/crab-cakes/md-style-c...

Stuffed salmon sounds like a great recipe. I have a hard time doing anything other than crispy skin salmon, though. LOVE that: https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/how-to-sear-salmon-and-get-t...

IP
Sounds good, alstro!

Wessex
Belated question.....

Since you spread the prepared crab on top of the salmon filet, I'm curious about your calling it stuffed salmon. To me, "stuffed salmon" involves filling the inside of an entire fish. I'm not sure what I would call it (salmon a la crab?)--but not "stuffed."

So glad your creativity saved the day and led to a delicious and adequately proportioned dinner!

=sheila
I originally planned to roll up the salmon around the crab mixture, but it was messy & annoying, plus I figured it would take longer to cook. The golden crab topping after baking made a great presentation. Oohs and Ahhs from my brother & niece, who plan to repeat the method themselves.

But I fixed today's salmon Sheila-style--with roasted brussels sprouts ;-) That's my most common salmon prep, followed by teryaki, baked with chili powder-based dry rub, or pan-fried or baked w/Everything But The Bagel seasoning.