No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a lot a student loan debt left over from college. It's on a variable interest rate loan adjusted every July. I'm trying to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of transferring that debt to a 2.9% introductory credit card offer.

The basic things I'm trying to figure out....
1. Would carrying a balance on my credit card affect my credit rating?
2. Will I keep receiving these low rate credit card offers if I start carrying a balance?
3. Assuming I can get a 2.9% rate for the next 6 months and then 10.9% after that, how would that compare to carrying an even 8.25% over 5 years?
4. Or what about 0% for 6 months and 14% after that?

Thanks in advance for the Foolish input!
Print the post Back To Top
I have a lot a student loan debt left over from college. It's on a variable interest rate loan adjusted every July. I'm trying to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of transferring that debt to a 2.9% introductory credit card offer.

DO NOT DO IT. Student loans are a part of life....just keep paying the monthly loan payment. The rate may be variable...but I suspect it will always remain around 8-9%. Mine did. Putting that kind of money on to a CC is dangerous. CC companies can do anything they want to you once they have you. The interest can and probably will change on the cards.....
The CC debt shows up as revolving credit and high balances if you go this route.....that could only hurt you in the long run.

Best of luck,
kcrowson
Why don't you just transfer the amount that you can repay over the term of the introductory period?