Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Have any of you ever banked with Bank One? If so, what is your opinion of them? Take into account their product offerings, customer service, etc.

I MIGHT consider Bank One again ... they have Dallas Cowboys checking and a Cowboys-branded THE ONE Card (debit card). ;-)
Print the post Back To Top
I MIGHT consider Bank One again ... they have Dallas Cowboys checking and a Cowboys-branded THE ONE Card (debit card). ;-)

I recently got a mailing from them promoting their ATM/check/debit card that give United miles - may be worth more than a Cowboys logo.

rad

I have a couple of questions about Bank One's online banking:

1. When you make an ATM transaction or debit card purchase (non-PIN purchase), does anything show up online immediately while the transaction is pending? For example, Wells Fargo lists "pending" transactions even before they are posted.

2. When a VISA Check Card purchase is posted, what does Online Banking say? Does it list the name of the merchant and the date the transaction was made, or does it simply say "The ONE Card" like it used to?

Thank you!
Have any of you ever banked with Bank One? If so, what is your opinion of them? Take into account their product offerings, customer service, etc.

They (Bank1) did change the min. daily balance needed to waive the
monthly fee on my checking account. Before, the min. was 750,
and now it's 250 bucks a month. That was kinda nice. Considering that
this account earns 0 interest, there's no sense in keeping more that's necessary in it.

There were also some other changes (e.g. a 20 dollar charge if an account is closed within 6 months.) *Not sure if this is new, or has been in place for a while.

upatnite2
upatnite2:

Have you had any problems with Bank One? If so, were they handled well?

Overall, how satisfied are you with Bank One?

GC

Nope... Never. Their service has always been ok.
*note: The Bank1 building that I bank at is at their headquarters,
(which is one heck of a beautiful building), armed with dozens of
tellers, and so on, and with the numerous ATM's all over the place,
it's hard not to bank with them.

But it does come at a price. Interest free checking. But I guess
that price is not as expensive as it used to be (I just checked PC
Banker's site, and noticed the 2.4 % rate posted...)

Note: Keep in mind, that I (like most people) don't really need
a lot of services from our bankers. Especially, as I'm not using
Bank1's bill pay service. Basically, checks are deposited, and
checks are written. If the bank can't handle that (given the
size of Bank1), they might as well close down.

Last year at some point, I needed more checks, and wondered how
much new checks were. I emailed Bank1 asking them, mentioned the
type of account that I had. A few days later, they responded and
still wouldn't tell me. Basically, I had to call/visit/or just
order them and hope for the best (checksinthemail had some cool
checks and went that way.)

On the other side, some of their tellers are pretty cool. When
I needed a large certified check last year, the teller that I
had spoke to the day before, had everything I needed ready at 7:30
the next morning.

Do they have the customer service that our smaller online banks
have? I doubt that seriously. Luckily, I haven't needed them
to research anything for me.

The bank statements also have a copy of each check written during
that period miniaturize on a few pages. Not sure if they still
do that. Downloading to M$ Money is a snap. One click and everyone
for the past "few months or so?" are downloaded. (or if needed, you can
specify a particular period if not taking the default time window.)

-upanite2

I am going to consolidate all of my finances in one place. I like the feeling that I only have to go to one website or walk into one branch. Interest rates are so low right now that it really negates any advantage of online banking. For example, $1,000 would earn you $24.00 over a year, or $2.00 a month - not really worth the extra effort required to mail in deposits or deal with a bank that has no local branches (at least in my opinion). Even at 4% you would earn only $40 per year on $1,000, which is just over $3.00 per month. Still not really worth it.

I am considering Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Bank One, and my local bank. I am considering Bank One once again partly because they have Dallas Cowboys checking here in Texas, including a Cowboys-branded THE ONE Card. I actually banked with Bank One before and never had any major problems with them, but that was a long time ago and much has changed since then.

My credit union is a small credit union - they are just now working on internet banking and automated telephone banking. They just rolled out the VISA Check Card earlier this year. They have no ATMs now, but are looking to install one later on. They are paying 2.25%APY on savings (no balance requirements, no fees), and I believe around 1.00% or 1.25%APY on checking ($500.00 to avoid $5.00 fee). I might consider the credit union also.
For me, the sole factor in determining which b&m to go with was...
access. There's not enough discernable differences from the various banks that I would use to choose one over another, except for access
to ATM's and branches.
*and sorry... but not a fan of Jerry Jones.

upatnite2
Hey, don't worry about it ... us Cowboys fans are not fond of Jerry
Jones, either. ;-)

Here is how the regional/super-regional banks rank in terms of
branches and ATMs in my area:

Bank                      Branches     ATMs
-------------------------------------------
Bank of America                  3       11
Wells Fargo                      2        3
Bank One                         2        2

Throughout Texas, Bank of America has 471 branches, Wells Fargo has 490, and Bank One has a little over 200.

Geez, the "pitfalls" of competition ... so many choices. ;-)
How 'bout Bank United?

When I was living in the metroplex, I used United S&L (the only S&L I could find...), and eventually they switched to being a bank (Bank United). They did have a decent amount of branches over there..
Are they still there, or did they get bought out?

upatnite2
Bank United was bought out by Washington Mutual. I would definitely consider Washington Mutual, but they have no branches in my area (Waco).

The only major banks in my city are Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Bank One. We also have Compass Bank (regional bank based in Birmingham, AL - they have branches as far west as Arizona, though), and Guaranty Bank (a bank based in Dallas, but which has northern California branches).

Of course, we also have 10 or 11 locally-owned banks, and quite a few credit unions (3 of which have "community charters").