Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
This is kind of disappointing. My limited foray into e-books wasn't all that encouraging anyway, I must say. I purchased an e-book from contentlink.com, installed the Adobe Reader software, brought up the book, only to discover that it wasn't going to let me print it. I understand the reasoning, but come on. I legimitally paid for the thing. I should be able to make a print out. Needless to say, the e-book is still sitting on my computer, unread. In the meanwhile, I've read through 4 or 5 regular print books.

Barnes & Noble.com Ends E-Book Sales
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&ncid=528&e=7&u=/ap/20030909/ap_on_en_ot/publishing_e_book_shutdown

Barnes & Noble.com, once an aggressive competitor in the electronic market, stopped selling e-books Tuesday, citing both limited sales and limited technology.

"We did not see sales take off as we and many others had anticipated," Daniel Blackman, vice president and general manager of Barnes & Noble.com, said Tuesday.

"The other factor is that consumers haven't embraced the technology. There isn't widespread adoption of an affordable and an easy to use e-book device."
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm a big fan of e-books, but I'm also a technogeek who carries around her Palm 24/7, hence why the e-books. I never bought from B&N, though- they didn't exactly promote that they even HAD e-books.

I figure they probably wouldn't appeal to most of the population, and even I probably wouldn't buy e-books much if I couldn't put them on my Palm to read while I'm out in public. That said, e-books are cheaper and I already have tons and tons and tons and tons of paper books taking up space, so I'll keep buying them elsewhere.

Yeah, printouts aren't usually allowed, though it would take forever to print, so I can kind of see why. The one that annoys me are the books that have to have your credit card number before you can open them, which makes it annoying if you want to pass your book on to others.
I am a big Palm e-book reader as well. I go to the Palm sources (especially Fictionwise.com) for my e-books. I didn't even know the B&N did e-books.

I have found that some of the new books are more expensive in electronic formats. For some reason, I read more non-fiction on my Palm than I do fiction. Don't know why that is.

Lynn
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hopefully B&N, being one of the big guys when it comes to booksellers, isn't setting a precedent here. If there's no money in e-books, I would expect others to also stop distributing them at some point. It may exist as a niche market, but never go mainstream. Companies like Microsoft, for example, with their e-book readers, are counting on the latter.
I don't know if America, by and large, are really ready for e-books.

I don't say this simply because I'm not, though, I am not ready for an e-book. I still like the feel of a book in my hands. And (I know this will sound silly) I (and again, I think America at large) does not have a place to read an e-book.

For commuters, particularily in the northeast, I can see where this would be a very handy thing. Riding the subways to work, taking the train back home,...you've got your Palm or laptop loaded with a book you want to read--bingo--you've got it without having to lug around ANOTHER item. For other commuters, LA, Houston, Dallas etc (where most are still in cars) this simply isn't practical. We're too busy shaving or putting on make-up while we drive.

I think, in time, e-books will come around. B&N is prolly just cutting losses for now and will move back in later.

Mike