No. of Recommendations: 0
I watched a few innings of the play-off game in which the Texas Rangers disgraced themselves vis-a-vis the Orioles and heard a phrase used many times that I had not heard before. It certainly wasn't in use during baseball's heyday -- the era of Sandy Koufax and Rocky Colavito.

The phrase is "walk-off," as in "walk-off single" or "walk-off home run." What the heck does it mean? Is there such a thing as a "walk-off walk"?

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
Is there such a thing as a "walk-off walk"?

--fleg

I'm not a baseball expert and I don't recall this term being used in the 1960s and 1970s when I followed baseball. I'll take a stab based on how I've heard the term being used. If it was the bottom of the ninth inning or the bottom of an extra inning, the bases were loaded with a tie score and the batter walked (base on balls), I'd say that base on balls was a walk-off walk.

Mike
Yes, Fleg, north Texas is in mourning. EPIC FAIL.

Who's that u said? Rocky Balboa Carlito? Was this prior to the Babe Ruth era?

Walk-off is definitely a new term. I started hearing the phrase 3-4 years ago. I hate new phrases. They are so pretentious. The basic ideas and concepts in baseball haven't changed in 100 years yet they are often rewrapped and repackaged with new words leading to temporary confusion for many but a feeling of coolness and exclusivity for the select few "in the know". Sort of like Taco Bell. They have had the same basic 4-5 ingredients for 35 years...rice, beans, tortilla, meat,etc. but have many hundreds of offerings have they had with different names?

Walk-off xxxx is simply a game ending whatever just happened to end the game. For example, a walk-off home run. They call it walk off because after it happens, the team suddenly walks off the field, ESP the defense. It applies only to bottom of the ninth or bottom of the extra inning situation . It applies only to an offensive play. So for example, if a pitcher strikes someone out to end a game, you do NOT called it a walk-off strikeout. And yes, I'd assume a walkoff walk is possible.
I'm not a baseball expert and I don't recall this term being used in the 1960s and 1970s when I followed baseball. I'll take a stab based on how I've heard the term being used. If it was the bottom of the ninth inning or the bottom of an extra inning, the bases were loaded with a tie score and the batter walked (base on balls), I'd say that base on balls was a walk-off walk.

Yep, and about the only thing more embarrassing for a pitcher would be a walk-off hit batter.
Yep, and about the only thing more embarrassing for a pitcher would be a walk-off hit batter.

How about a walk off wild pitch. JJJUUUSSST a bit outside!!!

JLC
Worst? Walk-off balk!