Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Based on my AGI (which is high), I am eligible for a Roth IRA contribution but partial. So that means that the balance (Roth + balance = $4k), will go to a Traditional. I'm at 10% contribution to my company 401k with them matching at 4%. I can go as high as 12% because my high AGI prevents me from matching at 20% for other employees.

First of all, the Roth contribution is based on Modified AGI, or MAGI. (See IRS Publication 590 for details on calculating MAGI http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf ) The MAGI accounts for, among other things, your 401(k) contribution, so any additional money you add to your 401(k) will allow you a higher Roth contribution when you are in the partial contribution income range.

My question is, for retirement purposes (I'm only 37yrs old), is it best to utilize, maximize all 3 instruments: 401k, Roth IRA, Traditional IRA? Or just 401k and Roth? It'll be a while before I break the AGI for a Roth.

Definitely your 401(k) contribution to your 12% limit, since the extra 2% you put in will allow you to put more into the Roth, as well as decreasing your current taxes. Put as much as you can into the Roth. For the non-deductible IRA, this thread has a lot of the pros and cons, and you need to decide for yourself what is the best way to invest your money.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.