Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Based on the article below, it seems that if I roll my 401K (very large) from my former employer into an IRA, I can then no longer take advantage of the “back door ROTH IRA contribution” because I’ll have too much in an IRA and can no longer roll the $6500 ($12000 married) tax free into a Roth.
Is that a correct reading of the pro-rata rule?

Yes, the taxability of any Roth conversion is pro-rated based on all of the percent of pre-tax money in all non-Roth IRAs that you, as an individual, own. 401(k) accounts are not included in the calculations. If you wish to continue to take advantage of doing back-door Roth contributions because your MAGI is over the limit to contribute to a Roth IRA, you can (1) leave the 401(k) in your former employer's plan, (2) roll it into a 401(k) at your current employer, or (3) convert the money in the 401(k) to a Roth IRA. IRS Pub 590 also has more details.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.