Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Based on the claims service, I will never do business of any kind with Liberty Mutual.

I second this one.

We have had 2 experiences with Liberty Mutual. The first was back in 1981 when DH was using them for insurance on his car and motorcycle. He was in an accident where an uninsured out-of-state driver had her left directional on, was just over the line queued up to make the left turn, and he passed her on the right to go into the gas station that was right there. Except she changed her mind and made a right turn. There was a bunch of damage to the bike, and his knee put quite an impression in the gas tank. That knee has not been right since. The cop at the scene cited DH for passing on the right.

Liberty was his insurance company at the time, so they opted to pay the damage claim for the other (uninsured out-of-state) driver, and refused to pay either his medical or for the damage to the bike. He ended up getting a lawyer, beat the ticket (there were several witnesses), and then had to sue his own insurance company since they had not waited for due process. He got more than what was needed for the medical and damage to his bike, and that extra ended up being the down payment on our first house.

The 2nd experience with Liberty was when I was working for DEC, and Liberty had a deal with them where the employees could get insurance and have it deducted from our paychecks. I asked for a quote on our house, and the agent refused to provide it because they said the house was old, and we were better off to burn it down and collect the insurance. I kid you not. That is exactly what they told me. I pointed out that the house was in a Boston suburb where ALL the houses were of that vintage, and it sounded like they didn't insure any houses in the Boston area, which was absurd. That was in the early 1980's.

We haven't looked at Liberty since then.

We use Amica, and have been very happy with the service and the rates, but I don't know if they service your area.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.