Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm embarassed to ask such a seemingly simplistic tax question, but here goes. I am new to investing and have only one mutual fund account with Seligman. After my intial investment, I have $50 per month invested directly into the account. I have never taken any withdrawls out of the fund only these small incremental additions. Well on November 30, something strange happened - for no apparent market reason the listed value of the fund shares dropped from ~ $32 to ~$24 and the newspaper mentioned that "Both 12b-1 and redemption charge in effect". What the heck is going on? But the real tax question is this - What sort of capital gains charges do I have to pay if I didn't sell any shares of the fund? Seligman sent me a form with a dollar figure broken down into two sums, designated as (I don't have the form in front of me) "short term ..." and "long term ... " How do these relate to the schedule D form (1090?) that I have to fill out? I'm obviously confused - I thought that you didn't pay capital gains taxes until you "cashed out"? Help! Any advice would be very appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.