Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1

Basically here it is: I want to open a ROTH IRA through either Merrill Lynch or a mutual fund company directly. Which is a
better idea for my future? And could I send $1500 to my index fund and $500 to my aggressive growth fund each year? I just
want my money to be secure yet mobile and I want to be able to adjust my position in these funds relatively easily.

I would pass on ML as I think the cost would be higher and of no benefit to you. Look at Vanguard and Fidelity. Both have brokerage accounts and funds. Also look at E*Schwab.

You can have as many ROTHS as you like and as many different investments in them as you would like. Mutual funds will have a minimun amount to open. I think the 500 is adaquate. However you may have some annual fees until the account grows to a certain dollar amount.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.