Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Basically I want to put away money in my name (for
him) be able to withdraw it when he is college age or
withdraw it later for other things for him. (house
downpayment). What can I put this money into? I don't
want to pay a hefty withdrawl fee.

From your description, you really don't want to do anything different with this money than anything else you would do with money you were investing for the long-term. It might simply be that a separate account(brokerage or otherwise) would segregate the money.

I could give you more suggestions if you gave me an idea of what you would be starting with and how often and how much you would be adding.


Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.