Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, but for some reason I'm really struggling with my taxes this year. My difficulty occurs with forms 8606 (IRAs) and 5329 (penalties), if applicable.

Here's my situtation (numbers rounded for simplicity):

In 1998, I had about $11,000 in an IRA that was rolled over from a 401(k) after leaving an employer. During that year, I converted about $6600 into a ROTH IRA and elected to spread the income over 4 years.

In 1998, I completed a form 8606 and included 1/4 of the $6600 as income. In 1999, I had no events which
required the filing of form 8606 (no contributions or distributions) so I just claimed another 1/4 on my 1040A.

I have never made any contributions to either IRA since I left my former employer, preferring instead to invest through my new 401(k).

In 2000, I withdrew the entire balance of my traditional IRA (about $4709) and another $5300 from the Roth to purchase my first home. I only intended to withdraw $10,000, but ended up with a little more due to fluctuations in value between the time I requested the exchange and when it actually occurred.

My problem is in determing my "basis" in each of the IRAs. I'm assuming my basis in the traditional IRA is $0. I've read conflicting information in the form instructions. At one point it seemd my basis in the Roth is $6600, but I'm not confident in that.

Is the $4709 from the traditional IRA taxable? Subject to penalty?

Is the $5300 from the Roth taxable? Subject to penalty? (I did not meet the 5-year rule)

What about the extra $9 over the $10,000 maximum for 1st time home purchase?

Any advice appreciated,

Vic
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.