Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My 2005 Chevy Equinox had run on its original battery for 9 years. This morning it gave but the weakest little sound and failed to crank over.
Auto-Club gave me a jump start, and I drove right to a parts store, kept the engine running, and bought a new battery. Once home I swapped out the batteries and everything is back to normal. But then...

I don't know diddly about electronics, but out of curiosity I stuck a multi-meter to the old battery, and it read 12.78V. Since I've planned to replace it anyway, I don't feel that I made an unnecessary expenditure but .... now I'm wondering whether the non-start could have been due to some other thing, and that issue wasn't solved by the swap out.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Could have been a loose or dirty battery connection, a stuck solenoid, a starter motor sitting on a worn and dirty section of the commutator, or a number of other issues. But even though the voltage under no load is acceptable, a battery at the end of its life may no longer be able to supply enough current to energize the starter motor. Only a proper load test of the old battery would reveal that.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Voltage is just the height of the waterfall. Current is the flow rate that does the work. A dead battery can read full voltage even though it can't produce current.

9 years is an excellent service life for a battery. Extreme heat or cold can be the last straw for a battery on its last legs.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Last time my battery died like that (which was just last year, come to think of it), when AAA came to give me a jump, they also had batteries to sell right on the spot. The pricing was reasonable, there was no extra installation charge, and they did a thorough battery test before changing the battery.

Plus, I got to spend 15 or 20 minutes chatting with the very pleasant young man who did the work.

Print the post Back To Top