Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am moving into a new house on Monday, and it has a nice bay window in the eat in kitchen. I like the sunlight shining in during the day, but prefer a window covering for when the sun goes down. One thing I am keeping in mind is that this area is between the kitchen and the family room, so I guess I need something that will help the rooms flow. I am going for a kind of warm,formal look in the family room, and plan on using the Ralph Lauren suede paint for a textured look. Suggestions?
Print the post Back To Top
I am going for a kind of warm,formal look in the family room, and plan on using the Ralph Lauren suede paint for a textured look. Suggestions?

How about mounting some roller shades in the bay window and painting one side with the paint. In the day time, they can be left up to let the sun in, at night they can be pulled down, and the paint will unify the rooms.

Amanda
I like the idea of painting the roller shades. In fact, I may try that for my large family room windows.
However, I really love roman shades. Depending on the fabric, I think they can fit into almost any style including warm, formal.
Congrats on the new house!!
Rachel
I am a huge fan of real wood venetian blinds, and this sounds like a perfect place for their application. Stained to match your other furniture, or perhaps the floors if they are wood, they will be exactly what you said you are going for, warm and formal. Their versatility -- pulled up, slatted open, or closed -- is another plus in the bay as you describe it. Then, too, if you change your room's look later, you needn't toss the blinds; you can always put a fabric treatment like a swag or panels on top of them.

I realize I'm sounding very enthusiastic ... but did I mention that I am a huge fan of real wood venetian blinds?

scary
Honeycomb blinds - easy to raise and lower, can get some that let light in, different colors available, can pull up fairly flat (unless really long).