No. of Recommendations: 0
BBQFool wrote:

<<I am desperately in need of some help in understanding the process of converting my 401k from one company to another. I was recently traded from one company to another as part of an acquisition. At the same time they moved my 401k from Putnam to Cigna who manages the 401k for the new company. On 9/30 my 401k was valued at $137k on my quarterly statment from Putnam. On 10/31, the date they transitioned the account from Putnam to Cigna, it should have been valued at $153k based on the closing market prices from 10/30. However, they only transferred $65k from Putnam to Cigna. Apparently, according to Putnam, I have sufferd an $88k loss as part of the 'conversion'. The Putnam rep on the phone tried to explain it as a loss on shares I had purchased at a higher price. Wouldn't that have already been taken into account on the market valuation on my statement? Even if the investments had actually declined in value, which I don't believe they have, that loss should have been reflected in my ending market value on my quarterly statement. If I buy a stock for $20 and now it is only worth $10, its market value is $10. I should still get $10 when I sell it. The way I understand this conversion process, I only get $4.25. My account has basically been devalued to the point where I am only getting back my contributions and the matching contributions of the company with almost no growth to show for my years of investing. Can someone please help me understand this??? (I have already posted this to the 401K board, but I need all the help I can get!)>>

Not knowing all the facts and circumstances save what you have written, it appears something is way out of whack here. Your account should transfer at market value less a modest charge for administrative expenses. It appears someone has made a grave error and you should pursue the issue with all vigor with your HR/benefits folks. Demand an explanation from them, from Putnam and from Cigna and keep expressing your complaint until you get an answer that's understandable and that makes sense. If push comes to shove, tell them you will complain to the Department of Labor that you have been denied an explanation and are being cheated out of retirement plan benefits. That should get some attention.

Regards….Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.