Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Be ever so mindful of the handling of 401k funds if you decide to withdraw.

The only way you can avoid major tax bite and potential early withdrawal penalty is to roll over into a traditional IRA and you can re-characterize later to a Roth if you desire. Going to a broker is good advice because you can designate, buy, sell within that IRA (be watchful of fees). Having a check made out to you personally requires that the account deduct 20%(?) in taxes. You would also have a time limit to activate the IRA (60 or 90 days), and you likely would need to make up the 20% to avoid penalty.
Have the check made out to your broker, IRA administrator handling your account.

If your Vanguard account is not over $10k you may want to roll over one 401k account to Vanguard to avoid / lower the maintenance fee.

Hope this helps.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.