Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
It was a warm Saturday afternoon in February 1985 and I decided to drive over to Waimanalo, east of Makapu, to visit a quiet beach. I went off beachcombing for a few hours. When I returned to my Ford Pinto station wagon I discovered it had been broken into. The passenger door lock had been forced open with a screwdriver.

The only thing missing was my wallet. I was out about twenty dollars and all of my identification. Fortunately, I did not have any credit cards.

There was a dumpster nearby. I checked it out without success. Ditto for a couple of garbage cans.

The next day I received a phone call from a Pizza Hut employee. She had found my wallet and identification in a dumpster behind a Pizza Hut restaurant. She gave me directions how to get to the restaurant. I drove over and picked up my wallet and driver's license. She also gave me a coupon for a free pizza at Pizza Hut. Thank you, Pizza Hut!

She told me about her church, the First Assembly of God in Honolulu, and invited me to attend a church service. The following Sunday I did so. There I discovered that the church softball team was starting up on the following weekend. The only qualification necessary was to attend church every other week. I sort of fudged on that. My church attendance batting average was closer to .250 than to .500.

The pastor at the First Assembly of God was the Reverend Roy Sapp. Reverend Sapp's daughter was voted the winner of the 1991 Miss America Beauty Pageant. Unfortunately, I did not have the pleasure of meeting her.

One of the players on the church softball team claimed to have been a utility infielder up for a cup of coffee for the St. Louis Cardinals about the time of the Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio trade. He claimed to have had 20 at bats in "The Show." I looked up his name in the Baseball Encyclopedia and could not find it. I thought it strange that a player on a church softball team would lie about having played in the major leagues. It goes to show, you never know.

Yetijuice

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.