Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
I've been on a huge hummus kick for the past three months. I've been eating approx. 6 oz./day with vegies, in sandwiches, with tortilla chips, etc. Yum!

But the cost of pre-made hummus is killing me (until today, I've been too lazy to bother making it myself). I only had enough tahini and chickpeas to make 1 small batch of hummus, but I had two cans of white canellini beans, so I mde a batch of white bean dip, too. Anyway, I kind of puttered around and came up with some ymmy recipes!

White Bean Base:

2 cans white beans (drained)
3/4 can of water (I used the cans the beans came in)
2 T. lemon juice
5 coves of garlic

Blended water, lemon juice, beans, and garlic together into a smooth paste. Split the bean base into two containers.

Into one container (one half the white bean base), I stirred:

4 T. cilantro pesto (basically: fresh cilantro, olive oil, and garlic)
1 T. onion powder
S&P

Into the other container, I mixed:

1 T. onion powder
1 T. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1 t. cayenne pepper
S&P

Result: Cilantro White Bean Dip & "Tex Mex" White Bean Dip

I keep feeling like the Tex Mex one might need a little something....I might stir a little bit of olive oil into it to give it a slightly richer flavor.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Try adding some rosemary to the white bean base dip.

LCK
My ex-roomie used to make hummus from scratch. It's not that hard, just mash up your chick peas, add some tahini and lemon juice (and other extraneous ingredients/flavoring to taste) and there you have it.

HLP
I stole a similar white bean dip from this recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30731,00.html (you can leave out the Parmesan if you don't use cheese or dairy products)

I added a whole head of roasted garlic with the beans and the oil in the food processor. (even better than the original)

Then I used that spread on my own sandwiches and wraps.

I did find that the nice thing about using it in wraps was that it is sticky and helps hold the roll together. Kind of seals it so it doesn't unroll on me.
I tired your recipe. It is very good and we had a hard time deciding which we liked better. I must admit that I changed a few things in the mexican version. I added olive oil and a lot of cheese.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Blue