No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm rolling over a retirement IRA into Vanguard, and am not sure where to put it. I was thinking of their and S&P 500 fund, but is that still a good idea considering we're probably at the end of bull season? I plan to retire in about 10 years.

Thanks for your suggestions....
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
<<<but is that still a good idea considering we're probably at the end of bull season? I plan to retire in about 10 years.>>>

10 years is considered long term investing, therefore, there is no better place to be than the stock market. I have had this discussion before, annually, for about the past 10 years. And every year, my friends have lost out because of "what ifs". True, you could invest tomorrow and loose 25% right off the bat, but over the long term, you'll be ahead.

JLC

"considering we're probably at the end of bull season?"

dude, where did u get that idea?

I think JLC has the right idea; in the short term the risk seems more intimidating, but if youre time frame is 10 years you would most likely establish considerable gains. But hell, don't take my word for it, I'm only 19.
I'm rolling over a retirement IRA into Vanguard, and am not sure where to put it.

You might want to consider Vanguard's HealthCare fund for a portion of your rollover.

http://majestic.vanguard.com/FP/DA/0.1.vgi_FProfileSnapshot?ChtDspAvgAnnlRtns=T&FUND_ID=0052

I've owned it for over a decade and it's been "bery bery good to me." (Chico Esquela, SNL).

It's up 36% YTD and is ahead of the S&P Index 500 fund in the 1, 3, 5, and 10 year periods (almost 5% ahead for the 10 year period). Although it's a sector fund, it's more generally diversified within the sector than some of Fidelity's sector healthcare offerings; it's not just pharmaceuticals. If you're concerned about the market slowing down, it has defensive characteristics along with it's growth features. The only year I recall it losing value was the year Hillary was planning to save our healthcare system, and even then it wasn't off much. While that sort of thing is still a possibility (it is an election year), I don't think any offerings will be as extensive as the plans that were trashed in the past. administration.

WTR