Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
...bear markets...the last one in 2018 was 22%. I can live with that because I have over one year worth of cash reserves and ample credit via my fully paid credit card and broker margin account that I very seldom use.

The only one of the bear markets you listed I experienced since I took control of my investments was 2018, when I too was down 22% over the three months Oct through Dec. I rode it out without getting too upset.

I had at least two years worth of spending in cash until one day in October when I decided that my portfolio had grown to the point that I should put more aside. I sold about 16% of my IRA stocks, roughly evenly across them all, and am now at 5+ years cash. Having done that I got a laugh the next day when I read that Saul (https://boards.fool.com/what-i39ve-done-in-my-portfolio-3464...) had chosen the same time to move 4% from stocks into emergency cash. In retrospect that week was a peak that I haven't approached again, so maybe it was just a good time to raise cash.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.