10% OAKBX Oakmont Equity Income
10% ICENX Icon Energy
10% PCRDX PIMCO Commodities
10% BEARX Prudent Bear
10% GLD Gold
20% CASH TIPS fund
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Not bloody likely to produce good results. But probably preserve capital.

A more active approach would be to learn how to trade.
No. of Recommendations: 1
A Bear-proof portfolio is probably mostly Bull-proof as well, kind of like a cash-stuffed mattress.

KennyO
A Bear-proof portfolio is probably mostly Bull-proof as well, kind of like a cash-stuffed mattress.

I prefer Mason Jars. Less likely to get lost.

Ryan
No. of Recommendations: 3
In an IRA. Comments?

10% HSGFX Hussman
10% HSTRX Hussman Treasuries
10% PRPFX Permanent Portfolio
10% OAKBX Oakmont Equity Income
10% ICENX Icon Energy
10% PCRDX PIMCO Commodities
10% BEARX Prudent Bear
10% GLD Gold
20% CASH TIPS fund

Comment #1: OAKBX is from OakMARK, not OakMONT.

Comment #2: PRPFX is, by itself, virtually Bear proof over the long run. But it owns some precious metals, and could potentially be hit in the short term if the bull market in Gold changes direction.

Comment #3: PCRDX is based at least partly on energy derivatives, which could add a lot of volatility when paired with an Energy sector fund like ICENX.

Comment #4: I do not know all those funds, and I'm not motivated to look them all up, but I know that PRPFX and OAKBX both contain some bonds. HSTRX is presumably all bonds, and I assume the TIPs fund is also bonds. There is probably some overlap among all those, and a lot of weight in one asset class.

Conclusions:

#1: One should be wary of bear markets in bonds, or metals, or commodities, just as much as in stocks. Therefore, going overweight in other asset classes (away from potential bears in stocks) is by no means an escape from all those other species of bears.

#2: I think it is probably too many funds, and the wrong funds, to accomplish what your title suggests. If you just want to preserve capital, TIPs seem logical. If you actually want to make money, you need more risk. They say defense wins basketball games, but that's only true when it is paired with the ability to score at the other end of the court.
What he said.

KennyO
Not bloody likely to produce good results. But probably preserve capital.

That's the idea.

A more active approach would be to learn how to trade.

Yes. Obviously.