Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 15
Elon Musk talks a lot about "The Machine That Builds The Machine." This morning I watched a video about how it's the Machine, the factories that produce Teslas, that are the real competitive advantage Tesla has over incumbent car makers. At the beginning of the 20th century it was Ford's "The Machine That Builds The Machine," the assembly line, that put Ford in the lead in mass production.

What does that have to do with "Beating Cathie?" I'm building "The Machine That Beats Cathie!" Have a look at the first prototype...

https://softwaretimes.com/pics/cathie-01-24-2021.png

The Specs

The app is based on three lists:

ARK Positions. The positions are based on ARK's thematic ETFs which can be downloaded from ARK's website. The duplicate positions are removed. Not to burden ARK's website I plan to have a Cron Job download the list once a week. If I make the app public, users will not access ARK's website, they will work with the app's current weekly list.

The selection criteria for building portfolios is based on each stock's yield. This data is calculated using price data from Yahoo Finance. As above, so as not to burden Yahoo Finance, a Cron Job will download the price data once a week on the weekend. I'm planning on calculating yield for four time intervals, 1, 2, 3, and 6 months. As above, this is the data users will have access to.

Blacklist. The Blacklist is used to remove unwanted positions from ARK's positions. There will be a default list of my choosing, mostly positions that individual investors don't have access to. The Blacklist is user editable in a window similar to the above Whitelist edit window.

Whitelist. There is no reason to limit the app to ARK positions. That's the user editable Whitelist's job.

Next steps. Yesterday was a coding marathon day that produced the first iteration of the Whitelist code. The next step is to expand the code to the other two lists which are quite similar.

To make the app public I have to decide how to manage users. There are only three customized user files, Whitelist, Blacklist, and User data. To Be Decided (TBD).

I'm using quite a bit of JavaScript to limit web traffic. I'm finally getting the hang of one of my least favorite languages! ;)

Now back to the Code Mine! It's actually a welcome relief from the Covid-19 lockdown. Now mostly I go out walking and doing local errands. It's ironic that 2020 was one of my best years in the market but Covid-19 denied the travel and tourism that I was looking forward to. Malta and Greece were high on my wishlist. So much history.

Denny Schlesinger

PS: I'm think of changing from "Beating" to "Besting..." Suggestions?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.