Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 15
Elon Musk talks a lot about "The Machine That Builds The Machine." This morning I watched a video about how it's the Machine, the factories that produce Teslas, that are the real competitive advantage Tesla has over incumbent car makers. At the beginning of the 20th century it was Ford's "The Machine That Builds The Machine," the assembly line, that put Ford in the lead in mass production.

What does that have to do with "Beating Cathie?" I'm building "The Machine That Beats Cathie!" Have a look at the first prototype...

https://softwaretimes.com/pics/cathie-01-24-2021.png

The Specs

The app is based on three lists:

ARK Positions. The positions are based on ARK's thematic ETFs which can be downloaded from ARK's website. The duplicate positions are removed. Not to burden ARK's website I plan to have a Cron Job download the list once a week. If I make the app public, users will not access ARK's website, they will work with the app's current weekly list.

The selection criteria for building portfolios is based on each stock's yield. This data is calculated using price data from Yahoo Finance. As above, so as not to burden Yahoo Finance, a Cron Job will download the price data once a week on the weekend. I'm planning on calculating yield for four time intervals, 1, 2, 3, and 6 months. As above, this is the data users will have access to.

Blacklist. The Blacklist is used to remove unwanted positions from ARK's positions. There will be a default list of my choosing, mostly positions that individual investors don't have access to. The Blacklist is user editable in a window similar to the above Whitelist edit window.

Whitelist. There is no reason to limit the app to ARK positions. That's the user editable Whitelist's job.

Next steps. Yesterday was a coding marathon day that produced the first iteration of the Whitelist code. The next step is to expand the code to the other two lists which are quite similar.

To make the app public I have to decide how to manage users. There are only three customized user files, Whitelist, Blacklist, and User data. To Be Decided (TBD).

I'm using quite a bit of JavaScript to limit web traffic. I'm finally getting the hang of one of my least favorite languages! ;)

Now back to the Code Mine! It's actually a welcome relief from the Covid-19 lockdown. Now mostly I go out walking and doing local errands. It's ironic that 2020 was one of my best years in the market but Covid-19 denied the travel and tourism that I was looking forward to. Malta and Greece were high on my wishlist. So much history.

Denny Schlesinger

PS: I'm think of changing from "Beating" to "Besting..." Suggestions?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
“PS: I'm think of changing from "Beating" to "Besting..." Suggestions?”
-
How about something like “Standing on the shoulders of Cathie Wood“?
No. of Recommendations: 0
Besting the Arks
Seems like you have heard the sound of worries from my mind captain.
I picked up the phone, coming on to board planning to email you and say,
"Dear Captain,i saw your list and method and followed blindly but now worried. How am i going to keep up? To make updates as Cathie makes updates? please share what you have come up for making these selections if possible."
And i see Beating Cathie, the machine!!!!😍
Thank you for all the work you have put in for building tht machine but i need to reserve a spot for accessing that machine, can i?

Besting sounds much better. 😍

Have a wonderful rest of the weekendand hopefully Malta and Greece and the whole world will be once again safe to travel and enjoy.

Regards,

Bella
No. of Recommendations: 8
Seems like you have heard the sound of worries from my mind captain.

And i see Beating Cathie, the machine!!!!😍

I'm doing it for myself because I realize that one needs all the help one can get. If you can automate the process you are much more likely to follow through. Last year, after I did the Call Option Selector, I discovered how much better it was at picking the best calls to sell than my manual process was. I figure the same will happen with this project. I never made the Call Option Selector public because it was too difficult to do. On the other hand the Cathie machine should be a lot simpler to make public.

BTW, because The Machine has the Whitelist, one can use any other source of investing ideas in addition to ARK ETFs. Maybe a more generic name might be more suitable. "The Growth Investing Machine?" "The Momentum Investing Machine?" "The Foolish Investing Machine" in honor of TMF where is germinated? Keep the ideas coming!

With so much rain in Portugal and covid-19 I think I'll have lots of time to code to pass the time! ;)

Denny Schlesinger
You are the best Captain! i know how much work it could be and i am not so fond of Java programming either, used to be good at ancient Cobol and JCL, lol but that was another lifetime!

Have not done any programming for ages and bet i wont even know where to start if trying now!

How about "The Hyper Growth Investing Machine"?

BTW, now i own 10 out of that super list, still haven't gotten TWST, and PLTR and some others yet. man, PLTR seems unstoppable!
Waiting for better entries and higher prices when i liquidate my port, they won't happen same day but i am working on it.

Best Regards,

Bella
No. of Recommendations: 18
Would have thought the name obvious.

The Captain's Ark(biblical conditions you know):-)))))))))))))))))))))))))
I actually like this name very much.

Make it your legend Captain
With so much rain in Portugal

Cap'n, just wondering what have been the pros and cons for you so far to living in Portugal for the past few years?
No. of Recommendations: 10
Cap'n, just wondering what have been the pros and cons for you so far to living in Portugal for the past few years?

Back around 1967 I took a three month tour of Europe. Initially Portugal was not on the schedule but my sailing partner asked me to buy a Duarte Bello self-bailer for our Star. Bello's shop was in Estoril, near Lisbon. I was in for a surprise, the Portuguese were the friendliest people of Europe!

In 1977, the year my father died, I started to look for places to retire. Becoming a beach bum in the Caribbean was one option. The more I looked the better back home in Venezuela looked until the Chavez revolution destroyed the country. Fast forward to April 1, 2018, I had enough, time to go! Where to? Portugal! Since I had taken precautions to get a German passport just in case, on April 8, 2018 I was on a plane to Madrid. After a week's stay onward to Berlin where I was born but had left at less than a year old. After two weeks of sightseeing, on to Porto, my chosen destination.

The pros are the easy going, friendly Portuguese people. The cons the difficulty in speaking the language. For someone who speaks Spanish, reading Portuguese is fairly easy but the pronunciation of the spoken word, specially when they talk fast, is terribly difficult. Fortunately one finds lots of people who also speak English or Spanish.

The day I arrived in Porto my suitcase was missing. At the airport lost baggage office they found it was stranded in Paris. They asked me if I wanted to pick it up the next day or have it delivered to my hotel. At 8 AM the next morning there it was. In all my travels it was only the second time that a bag had gone AWOL. The other was at Union Station in Toronto in the 1950s. That one showed up within the hour.

Denny Schlesinger

Duarte Bello a self-bailer
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q...
No. of Recommendations: 2
The "Whitelist" code is working as is the download of ARK's positions. The next step is to clean up the list. There are a number that are not valid ticker symbols, for example:

[1] => 4477 <--- numbers
[16] => ARCT UQ <--- space
[82] => NTDOY <--- 5 letters, valid but...

These are easy to get rid of with code, most won't have Yahoo price data anyway. Suggestions?

Denny Schlesinger

The list 1/26/2021

[0] => 3690
[1] => 4477
[2] => 4689
[3] => 6060
[4] => 9923
[5] => AAPL
[6] => ACCD
[7] => ADBE
[8] => ADPT
[9] => ADSK
[10] => ADYEN
[11] => ADYEY
[12] => AMZN
[13] => ANSS
[14] => API
[15] => AQB
[16] => ARCT UQ
[17] => AVAV
[18] => BABA
[19] => BEAM
[20] => BEKE
[21] => BIDU
[22] => BLI
[23] => BMY
[24] => BYDDY
[25] => CAT
[26] => CDNA
[27] => CDXS
[28] => CERS
[29] => CGEN
[30] => CLLS
[31] => CRM
[32] => CRSP
[33] => CRWD
[34] => CSTL
[35] => DE
[36] => DOCU
[37] => DSY
[38] => EDIT
[39] => ESLT
[40] => EVGN
[41] => EXAS
[42] => EXPC
[43] => FATE
[44] => FB
[45] => FLIR
[46] => FSLY
[47] => GBTC
[48] => GH
[49] => GOOG
[50] => GOOGL
[51] => GWRE
[52] => HDB
[53] => HON
[54] => HUBS
[55] => HUYA
[56] => ICE
[57] => INCY
[58] => INTU
[59] => IONS
[60] => IOVA
[61] => IRDM
[62] => ISRG
[63] => JD
[64] => KMTUY
[65] => KSPI
[66] => KTOS
[67] => LC
[68] => LGVW
[69] => LMT
[70] => LSPD
[71] => MASS
[72] => MCRB
[73] => MELI
[74] => MGA
[75] => MKTX
[76] => MTLS
[77] => NET
[78] => NFLX
[79] => NIU
[80] => NNDM
[81] => NSTG
[82] => NTDOY
[83] => NTLA
[84] => NVDA
[85] => NVS
[86] => NVTA
[87] => NXPI
[88] => OKTA
[89] => ONEM
[90] => ONVO
[91] => OPEN
[92] => PACB
[93] => PCAR
[94] => PD
[95] => PDD
[96] => PHR
[97] => PINS
[98] => PLTR
[99] => PRLB
[100] => PSNL
[101] => PSTG
[102] => PSTI
[103] => PTON
[104] => PYPL
[105] => RAVN
[106] => REGN
[107] => RHHBY
[108] => ROK
[109] => ROKU
[110] => RPTX
[111] => SCHW
[112] => SDGR
[113] => SE
[114] => SHOP
[115] => SI
[116] => SKLZ
[117] => SNAP
[118] => SNPS
[119] => SPCE
[120] => SPLK
[121] => SPOT
[122] => SQ
[123] => SRPT
[124] => SSYS
[125] => SURF
[126] => SYRS
[127] => TAK UN
[128] => TCEHY
[129] => TCS LI
[130] => TDOC
[131] => TDY
[132] => TEAM
[133] => TER
[134] => TMO
[135] => TREE UW
[136] => TRMB
[137] => TSLA
[138] => TSM
[139] => TTD
[140] => TWLO
[141] => TWOU
[142] => TWST
[143] => TXG
[144] => U
[145] => VCYT
[146] => VEEV
[147] => VRSK
[148] => VRTX
[149] => WDAY
[150] => WKHS
[151] => XLNX
[152] => XONE
[153] => Z
[154] => ZM
Have you looked at their Israel index ETF? They have one my highest conviction companies in their top 5 or 6: RADA
Have you looked at their Israel index ETF?

No, this is about their thematic ETFs.

They have one my highest conviction companies in their top 5 or 6: RADA

You'll be able to include RADA in your Whitelist! I have three stocks in my Whitelist, DMTK, ENPH, and SPWR.

Denny Schlesinger
I am so excited to be able to test run the program, considering i will be able to run and try it of course. :)

So, Captain, how did you like "Captain's ARK", for the machine you are building? i think it makes perfect sense.

and

Not my code, but does this work?

final List<String> numbers = Arrays.asList("1", "2", "3");

final List<String> filtered = numbers.stream()
.filter(num -> !"1".equals(num))
.collect(Collectors.toList());

Best Regards,

Bella
So, Captain, how did you like "Captain's ARK", for the machine you are building? i think it makes perfect sense.

Considering that Noah was selected to save humanity, that's quite a compliment!

Not my code, but does this work?

final List<String> numbers = Arrays.asList("1", "2", "3");

final List<String> filtered = numbers.stream()
.filter(num -> !"1".equals(num))
.collect(Collectors.toList());

Don't know, what language is it? I'm using php. Today so far...

Weekly cron
Download ARK ETFs v
Array merge ARK ETFs v
Clean up list v
Save to database (file) v
Download yahoo prices v
Calculate yields <-- working on this
<-- the difficulty is that the downloads
<-- might be less that six months...
Update database (file)
Replace old database

Denny Schlesinger
Not sure if this helps you Cap'n, but this is a good site to drill down into ARK's ETFs :

https://cathiesark.com/
Not sure if this helps you Cap'n, but this is a good site to drill down into ARK's ETFs :

Thanks but not really. I wonder if you read my post "Beating Cathie Wood at her own game." I'm applying an unorthodox methodology to select the best of Cathie's most excellent picks using the Pareto principle as a guide.

Denny Schlesinger

Beating Cathie Wood at her own game.

https://boards.fool.com/beating-cathie-wood-at-her-own-game-...
I am going back through the posts but might have missed it--did you set any criteria for the whitelist selections? Re: industries, number of selections or % of total?
No. of Recommendations: 3
The White list simply lets you add stocks that you like that are not held by ARK Invest. For example, I added DMTK, ENPH, and SPWR which I found in other sources. These stocks match or beat TSLA, ARK's most famous position.

https://softwaretimes.com/pics/tsla-0202-2021.gif

There are no rules for the White and Black lists, they just add or subtract from ARK's base list to make the final list a better match to the user's preferences.

Denny Schlesinger
What a beautiful day to be on Captain's ARK!!!! WOW!!!

All that 20 some percentage i lost due to jumping on board at ATH, is coming back to portfolio quiet nicely.

Let's keep sailing, i like this ARK!

Bella
Hi Denny,

I'm trying to understand your eliminating process. How did Pins make the cut? Looking at the chart it doesn't make a strong case. Thank you.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I'm trying to understand your eliminating process. How did Pins make the cut? Looking at the chart it doesn't make a strong case. Thank you.

The basics: The idea is based on the Power Law Distribution. ARK's top performers must beat ARK's average so pick ARK's top performers. Traders like to use six month charts and that's the reason i picked six month as my sieve. Since I'm not a purist, I eliminate some investments I'm not comfortable with, my Black List, credit risk, banks, bitcoin, grass, etc. Then apply the Power Law Distribution.

Sort Cathie's list by six month growth rate, descending...

https://softwaretimes.com/pics/pins-02-04-2021.png

I wanted to buy 15 stocks. Marked in dark are stocks on my Black List. Pins ranks 11th so it made the cut. There was a tossup for last between PTON and PLTR at 162% each. PLTR won!

BTW, PINS made a new all time high on great earnings. Up almost 10% after market.

Denny Schlesinger
All this is great work, Denny. How often are you going to run "the machine"?

As an example, Twist is having a <gulp> bad day. If you ran the machine over the weekend, would you expect to see Twist drop out of your Top 15? Would you then sell and add a different company?

(sorry if you've addressed this....been doing my best to get caught up on the various threads...it's a genius concept)
JP
No. of Recommendations: 5
All this is great work, Denny. How often are you going to run "the machine"?

(sorry if you've addressed this....been doing my best to get caught up on the various threads...it's a genius concept)

Yep, you missed some of it! I'm planning to make it public (free but subscription required) and people can run it when they like but I'll be downloading the raw data from ARK and Yahoo! only once a week, on weekends, so as not to overload those sites. This is not something to trade on daily. I think monthly or quarterly will probably suffice. Time will tell.

There seems to be a problem with my server today so this image might not show

https://softwaretimes.com/pics/captains-ark.png

As an example, Twist is having a <gulp> bad day. If you ran the machine over the weekend, would you expect to see Twist drop out of your Top 15? Would you then sell and add a different company?

I don't know the answer to that question. SunPower Corp. {SPWR} had a big drop and this is what I did about it, about half way down the post:

https://boards.fool.com/-educated-amused-and-enriched-love-i...

You should expect this crazy volatility in these super fast growers but overtrading is a mistake. I have not been able to find out what bit Twist. Despite the huge drop, since I have 15 ARK positions, the drop is dampened and my port is up 2% for the day just now. Crazy as it sounds, a 20% drop? Don't worry about it! ;)

Denny Schlesinger
You should expect this crazy volatility in these super fast growers but overtrading is a mistake. I have not been able to find out what bit Twist...Crazy as it sounds, a 20% drop? Don't worry about it! ;)

Truer words, Denny, truer words!

Twist is back to its price from a week ago, btw :)

Pete
No. of Recommendations: 2
Your ARK has the most beautiful participants even with Sunpower's little drop and TWIST drop today.
Mind you, such drops are typical of SPWR and ENPH, but also the quick recovery and climbing to the new ATH.

Great volatility, for sure but this is also where the great gains are made.

i was actually waiting for an opportunity to get TWST at a discount, and was so happy to get my chance today.

Thank you again Captain for sharing your wealth of knowledge and your hard work with us.

Best Regards,

Bella
So is this subscription based website up and running?
You guys have awoken my curiosity.

MoneySlob
Never mind. I just saw where it will be thanks to a different thread.