Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Because IRAs are not allowed to take out loans with recourse, it is unlikely that he will be able to use a loan to purchase property ...

And should you find a non-recourse loan, that would make your IRA an owner of debt-financed property, which subjects all of the profits from real estate to the Unrelated Business Income Tax. And those profits would likely include any gain on the sale of the property.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.