No. of Recommendations: 6
Because of its volatility, the stock market is an absolutely horrid place to be during the accumulation stage.

As opposed to any other, comparably passive investment - which, if not even more volatile, will reliably and smoothly not get you there in this lifetime.

There are other more-active investments that might get you there... but they are more active.

Anyone who can afford sufficient real estate that it becomes as passive as stock-market investing - with a hired manager doing or overseeing all the work - doesn't need to invest in order to reach early retirement. He's already there (if he so chooses).

Anyone of lesser means is going to find that owning real estate consumes signifigant amounts of TIME, and occasionally will require that you add a bucket or two of MONEY.

Stocks, it's entirely my choice how much time to put into it. I can spend a few minutes opening a mutual-fund account and setting up a periodic automatic deposit, and then never look at again except for spending an extra ten minutes a year on my income tax. I can construct a stock filter at any of a number of free online sites, and then spend ten minutes a month bringing my portfolio in line with what the filter currently says. I can spend an hour every day on fundamental analysis. Or anything in between - STRICTLY my choice.

There is NOTHING WRONG with real estate investing, and for some people it's a wonderful choice.

But I am not one of those people.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.