No. of Recommendations: 0
Because surrender fees will probably make getting out of the annuity costly, you should first see if your annuity offers other investment choices that perform better. Also, how long has this poor performance been going on. If only for one year, perhaps future years will be better. Judge by comparing returns of your investment opitons in the annuity with those of the S&P index for the same time frame. (The S&P does not go up every day or every month either.)

Surrender fees and returns are usually expressed as percentages. If your current investment options are losers compared to the S&P, you should be able to calculate the time required to earn back your surrender costs at a typical 10-12%/yr return of an S&P Index fund. You're a businessman. You may know better than I do, but I would make the change for sure if the payout is projected at 3 years or less. Up to 7 years it may be worth it. Longer than that, I would say its marginal at best (and either your returns are better than you think they are or the surrender fees are extremely large).

Usually the surrender fees decrease or are eliminated after a certain number of years. Make sure you factor these details into your calculations.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.